TechSpot

Newly-found planet probably life-bearing

By Archean
Jun 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. [​IMG]

Astronomers recently announced the discovery of a planet that’s very similar to Earth than any discovered before, and there’s a good chance humans could survive there. What’s even more fascinating is the assertion of one scientist that there is a strong possibility of life on Gliese 581g.

2. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Yeah, but there's always a catch...

*Reads article*

Yep, 20 light years. Well then, load up the snacks we'll be there in no time. :rolleyes:

3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 5,682   +86

May be you need SS Enterprise? :confused:

4. Benny26

Now that would be more like it!

As an avid Star Trek fan, I can say that the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D: from Star Trek: The Next Generation), which has a normal cruising speed of warp 6.0, would be able to reach the planet in approximately 19 earth days; at Maximum speed (Warp 9.6), just 4 days...Although the ship can only sustain this speed for a maximum of 12 hours only.

If i'm stll alive when we invent one, I might actually go for chief engineer :D

5. Archean

Regardless of everything, one can always dream ;)

Well you need to imagine something before you invent it anyway.

6. Benny26

Aint that the truth.

I'll get started on a new type of revolutionary engine, shall i? :D

7. Archean

Don't worry we have captaincranky, I am sure he have other ideas about traveling at warp speed :grinthumb

8. Benny26

Oh dear...

You know that now you've spoken his name he's probably gonna come bulldozing in with a 500 word lecture on the "Theory of warp travel" or something like that. :haha:

9. Archean

I am not bothered, as long as he can make stuff travel at warp speed, beside that it takes a lots of effort to write a 500 word essay on aspects of warp speeds ........ :rolleyes:

10. Benny26

Effort?....Jeez, that guy knocks 500 worders out for fun. :D

( Congrats on your 4000th post :grinthumb: )

11. Archean

Thanks, I noticed that JIT as well. :D

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Well, there would probably be 500 words in the title alone given the gravity of issue. (Don't pardon the pun, see if I care).

For you Star Trek fans, "I'm giving her all I got. She'll naught take much more o' this captain".

In any event Benny better hurry up with the star drive, the Na'vi are waiting for us to ruin their world too.

13. Archean

Now that is an idea, I don't know if there is a record for the longest title for an essay in Guinness book, if there is none you'll create one, if there is one, you'll better it anyway :D

14. Benny26

Just give me a few years and i'll have one ready. I'll go out and buy some pens and paper tomorrow to start my calculations...