TechSpot

News Corp and Walt Disney reportedly in discussion over Hulu's future

By Shawn Knight
Mar 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. News Corp. and Walt Disney Co. are reportedly in discussion with one another that could ultimately lead to one company buying out the other’s interest in video streaming service Hulu. At present, each entity owns about a third of Hulu...

Read more
  2. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

When Hulu first started it was great. Then the last few years their was so many commercial it basically started sucking. Then they started putting shows only under the paid subscription and you still have ads. Someone needs to go back to the drawing boards. Ads suck so I was willing to pay till I found out you still have ads. Uh no. And I think many people think the same things. They better change because it could be a good service otherwise.
  3. I can attest to the larger amounts of ads. I use to watch hulu around when it first came out. 30 minute shows were about 23 to 24 minutes on hulu with about a minute or two being adds. However now you have at least one ad where the commercial break normally is in the show. No thanks.

Even with that I think it would be a big mistake to change the current model. If you go just add support you will lose a lot of the premium members. If you go sub only you better not show any ads for it to work.
  4. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash TS Rookie Posts: 125   +35

The ads are what made me not subscribe after the trial month. I'm paying for a product and a service, not for ads.
  5. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 398   +35

Yeah I'm not paying for commercials. Moving on...
  6. Well what was said in article that New corp wants subscription and Disney wants Ads..
    News corp should buy out Disney,then without Disney NO more ads, I would think.
    That's the reason I assume that Hulu Plus has Sub + Ads , to make both party's happy..
    Just keep ads on the Free Hulu or change it over like Netflix .. One price for all..

:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.