TechSpot

nforce sound problem, no 5.1 sound

By coolroyboy2
Jul 10, 2002
  1. nforce sound problem,need help

I have just recently bought a set of altec lansing 251 speakers and I have had no luck getting the rear or center speakers working. The sub and front sound great. I have the newest driver for the onboard sound from windows update and have been through many settings within the control panel for the sound apu.
    I have been using ati's dvd player and no 5.1 sound, does ati's dvd even support it ?
    I am to the point that I think I must not be running application that puts out 5.1 sound. How could I test it?

My motherboard is an Abit nv7-133r .

2. coolroyboy2

coolroyboy2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I fixed it.

3. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

If I might ask, what did you do to fix it? Someone may have that problem in the future and it could save them some time.

4. coolroyboy2

coolroyboy2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

After many hours of fooling with this I found
    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/index.php
    This site helped me get all the speakers working and helped me understand what the nforce was about.
    My findings are: Keep reading many fourms, this one first, post often and don't give up, remember it's only a computer or so my wife says. CRB

5. Corruption

Corruption TS Rookie

Same Problem

I have the same problem with the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and Altec Lansing 251s but I the speakers work fine for games like Unreal Tournament 2003. Once I start playing a DVD though the rear speaks hardly work at all.....they just hiss a lot and let out a small sounds from the movie. This is all with thems witched to 6 channel mode. If I turn the switch on them to 2/4 channel then the rear speakers work a lot better with DVDs but it does not sound nearly as good in Unreal Tournament 2003. Could anyone please help me?!?!!?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.