Nintendo says perceived "weak" Switch launch lineup is part of its plan

midian182

Staff member

The Nintendo Switch’s March 3 release date is just one month away, but will the hybrid console’s lineup of launch titles be a problem? Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima has admitted that the ten games available when the Switch goes on sale may be perceived by some as weak, but it’s all part of the company’s long-term plans.

"Some of those who have seen this lineup have expressed the opinion that the launch lineup is weak," Kimishima said during an earnings briefing this week, as reported by Gamespot. "Our thinking in arranging the 2017 software lineup is that it is important to continue to provide new titles regularly without long gaps. This encourages consumers to continue actively playing the system, maintains buzz, and spurs continued sales momentum for Nintendo Switch."

Gameindustry.biz notes that this is the same strategy Nintendo used when the Wii U launched five years ago. “Nintendo tends to release too many titles at the launch of a hardware system and as a result suffers a drop in new games for quite some time after launch, and for the Wii U launch, we are being very careful not to let it happen,” said Nintendo’s president at the time, Satoru Iwata, said back in 2012.

But the plan didn’t work out quite as Nintendo intended. Several of the Wii U’s launch titles were delayed, leading to Iwata apologizing for the game drought that some say contributed to the console’s poor sales. The Wii’s successor ended its global production run earlier this week.

Kimishima said that there are more than 70 developers making 100 games for the Switch, so it shouldn’t suffer from a lack of content. As for the launch lineup, Nintendo will no doubt hope that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will convince people to buy the console on release day.

Permalink to story.

Nintendo

"We don't have many launch titles because we want you to stay in anticipation of possible games that might release for the system. Please buy our system now so you might enjoy them (maybe) sometime in the future."

Nintendo, you need to have a good amount of launch titles AND a good flow of titles consistently throughout the year. It's great that you are planning on making games for your own console but I highly doubt 3rd party devs are going to bite the bullet and sell their games to push your console.

If Breath of the Wild turns out to be a very good game, that's all the Switch will need to sell.
Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox etc etc will follow.
Many people borrowed or picked up an X1 to play Halo 5, the same way that Wii U sales doubled when Mario Kart 8 released.
I have an X1 with a good collection of games but only a select few demand purchase of the console.

I hope they follow the lines of the N64 games, those were absolutely awesome.
The N64 is the God of gaming consoles, I believe they are actually allowed in heaven, used in a parallel universe and copied by aliens 100,000,000,000,000 light years away.
I can hear them playing it when I am really drunk, I look up in the sky and I will hear things like 'Jinjo!!' or 'Do a barrel roll!'

"Gameindustry.biz notes that this is the same strategy Nintendo used when the Wii U launched five years ago. "

The same console that bombed hard, and sold less then a 10th what the PS2 sold a decade eariler? The same system that was only 1/3rd as successful as the gamecube, largely regarded as a failure?

I cant see why this would go wrong.

If Breath of the Wild turns out to be a very good game, that's all the Switch will need to sell.
Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox etc etc will follow.
Many people borrowed or picked up an X1 to play Halo 5, the same way that Wii U sales doubled when Mario Kart 8 released.
I have an X1 with a good collection of games but only a select few demand purchase of the console.

The N64 is the God of gaming consoles, I believe they are actually allowed in heaven, used in a parallel universe and copied by aliens 100,000,000,000,000 light years away.
I can hear them playing it when I am really drunk, I look up in the sky and I will hear things like 'Jinjo!!' or 'Do a barrel roll!'

The Wii U had Skyward sword, another excellent Zelda game, and it wasn't nearly enough. Sure, the new Zelda is going to sell the console but it likely won't be enough. Each previous Nintendo console has tried something new and that was exciting. The switch, on the other hand, isn't a large jump in power compared to the Wii U. It doesn't have any exciting features (perhaps the additional motions controls?). In reality the switch might as well be the new 3DS, except this time they decided to advertise it to their core console gamers. It doesn't really deserve to be called a console because Nintendo has fallen so far away from the performance of those devices that the Switch is already beaten by higher-end mobile GPUs.

The Wii U had Skyward sword, another excellent Zelda game, and it wasn't nearly enough. Sure, the new Zelda is going to sell the console but it likely won't be enough. Each previous Nintendo console has tried something new and that was exciting. The switch, on the other hand, isn't a large jump in power compared to the Wii U. It doesn't have any exciting features (perhaps the additional motions controls?). In reality the switch might as well be the new 3DS, except this time they decided to advertise it to their core console gamers. It doesn't really deserve to be called a console because Nintendo has fallen so far away from the performance of those devices that the Switch is already beaten by higher-end mobile GPUs.

Skyward Sword was for the regular Wii friend. It later released in 2016 on the virtual console for the Wii U, but was never remastered or anything.

The last console to release with a brand new Zelda game was the original Wii. 3 out of 4 Wiis that were sold had a copy of Twilight Princess purchased with them. And the Wii is one of the best selling consoles of all time.

Graphical power does not determine sales for consoles. Nintendo has proven that many many times now.

I wonder when people will get off it?

No ones gonna buy a gameboy it's black and white and the game gear is color and more stronger.

No ones gonna buy a DS the PSP has way better graphics.

No ones gonna buy a 3DS cuz mobile phones have rad graphics.

No ones gonna buy a Wii because the 360 and PS3 are more stronger.

And now, no ones gonna buy a Switch, cuz it's not as powerful as a PS4.

Might as well ignore all of the history of gaming.

Skyward Sword was for the regular Wii friend. It later released in 2016 on the virtual console for the Wii U, but was never remastered or anything.

The last console to release with a brand new Zelda game was the original Wii. 3 out of 4 Wiis that were sold had a copy of Twilight Princess purchased with them. And the Wii is one of the best selling consoles of all time.

Graphical power does not determine sales for consoles. Nintendo has proven that many many times now.

No ones gonna buy a gameboy it's black and white and the game gear is color and more stronger.

First off, most of those comments are your imaginations of what people thought. The PSP and DS were obviously not competing for the same section of the market. Same goes for the 3DS and mobile phones, with the exception that the 3DS was obviously going to be successful because mobile gaming wasn't very mature and that most kids don't have a phone capable of decent gaming.

"No ones gonna buy a Wii because the 360 and PS3 are more stronger. "

Never heard this one either. The Wii was mostly considered a family device and many people bought them in addition to a 360 or PS3. It was possible because of it's low price point, something the switch does not have compared to the PS4 or Xbox One.

"And now, no ones gonna buy a Switch, cuz it's not as powerful as a PS4. "

Once again, no one is comparing the power of the Switch to the PS4. I compared the switch to the Wii U, pointing out that there is barely any jump in performance. It's pretty important when it's below what even Nintendo usually aims for.

You want the factors that will affect buying choices?

Price

The switch is more expensive that it's already established competitors

Performance

AAA gaming is impossible on all but the lowest settings. 3rd party unfriendly

Cost to operate

Switch requires a paid online sub to play online. Controllers are VERY expensive

The switch can get sales but likely by cannibalizing it's own 3DS market. Hardcore Nintendo fans will always buy just for the games. Android and iOS is only becoming more popular and will likely erode the switch's possible market share. When the Wii came out it captured the casual market but now that market has moved onto mobile gaming. Pray tell, between using their phones and coming home to their consoles, at what point do you suggest injecting the switch? Once again Nintendo will lean on it's games to capture casuals, more so than any Nintendo console before consider this time the switch is releasing for more money that it's competitor's consoles, something Nintendo hasn't done in a long time because usually weaker hardware means cheaper.

First off, most of those comments are your imaginations of what people thought. The PSP and DS were obviously not competing for the same section of the market. Same goes for the 3DS and mobile phones, with the exception that the 3DS was obviously going to be successful because mobile gaming wasn't very mature and that most kids don't have a phone capable of decent gaming.

"No ones gonna buy a Wii because the 360 and PS3 are more stronger. "

Never heard this one either. The Wii was mostly considered a family device and many people bought them in addition to a 360 or PS3. It was possible because of it's low price point, something the switch does not have compared to the PS4 or Xbox One.

"And now, no ones gonna buy a Switch, cuz it's not as powerful as a PS4. "

Once again, no one is comparing the power of the Switch to the PS4. I compared the switch to the Wii U, pointing out that there is barely any jump in performance. It's pretty important when it's below what even Nintendo usually aims for.

You want the factors that will affect buying choices?

Price

The switch is more expensive that it's already established competitors

Performance

AAA gaming is impossible on all but the lowest settings. 3rd party unfriendly

Cost to operate

Switch requires a paid online sub to play online. Controllers are VERY expensive

The switch can get sales but likely by cannibalizing it's own 3DS market. Hardcore Nintendo fans will always buy just for the games. Android and iOS is only becoming more popular and will likely erode the switch's possible market share. When the Wii came out it captured the casual market but now that market has moved onto mobile gaming. Pray tell, between using their phones and coming home to their consoles, at what point do you suggest injecting the switch? Once again Nintendo will lean on it's games to capture casuals, more so than any Nintendo console before consider this time the switch is releasing for more money that it's competitor's consoles, something Nintendo hasn't done in a long time because usually weaker hardware means cheaper.

Mhmmmmm

"The switch is more expensive that it's already established competitors"

Really? I thought their competitors current offerings were those Xbox One S's and PS4 Pros laying around at the store that no one is buying because they don't care about the power increases. Tis a good example of people not caring about power, just games.

Not to mention that Nintendo always drops the price of their consoles quite dramatically following launch. I'd expect it to be available for $249 to $199 within a year of launch, unless it's selling like hot cakes, which would give them no reason to drop the price.

"AAA gaming is impossible on all but the lowest settings. 3rd party unfriendly"

You realize that Nintendo is one of the greatest video game making companies in history right? And that no other console will even be able to touch it when it comes to extremely high rated and exclusive content?

What is Xbox's super awesome exclusive game? Halo 15 Combat Redone? Yeah I don't care, and no one else does either.

What about PS4? Uncharted 4 is a good one.
It sold the same numbers as Mario Kart 8. Despite having 4 times as many consoles available to sell to.

Oh yeah and IOS and Android have all those sick games. What is their killer app? Clash Royale? Pokémon Go? A Nintendo property? Lol.

"Switch requires a paid online sub to play online. Controllers are VERY expensive"

Yes all the consoles now have online paid subscriptions. Nintendo's is going to cost half as much. Read the news.

The controllers cost just about the same as both Xbox and PlayStation Controllers. What are you talking about?

Don't worry son, everyone's gonna start playing Xbox with you any day now. Annnnnnnny day.

Can't wait to get my Switch. Gonna be sick AF.

PS2 is the best selling console of all time, Wii is second.

Mhmmmmm

"The switch is more expensive that it's already established competitors"

Really? I thought their competitors current offerings were those Xbox One S's and PS4 Pros laying around at the store that no one is buying because they don't care about the power increases. Tis a good example of people not caring about power, just games.

Not to mention that Nintendo always drops the price of their consoles quite dramatically following launch. I'd expect it to be available for $249 to $199 within a year of launch, unless it's selling like hot cakes, which would give them no reason to drop the price.

"AAA gaming is impossible on all but the lowest settings. 3rd party unfriendly"

You realize that Nintendo is one of the greatest video game making companies in history right? And that no other console will even be able to touch it when it comes to extremely high rated and exclusive content?

What is Xbox's super awesome exclusive game? Halo 15 Combat Redone? Yeah I don't care, and no one else does either.

What about PS4? Uncharted 4 is a good one.
It sold the same numbers as Mario Kart 8. Despite having 4 times as many consoles available to sell to.

Oh yeah and IOS and Android have all those sick games. What is their killer app? Clash Royale? Pokémon Go? A Nintendo property? Lol.

"Switch requires a paid online sub to play online. Controllers are VERY expensive"

Yes all the consoles now have online paid subscriptions. Nintendo's is going to cost half as much. Read the news.

The controllers cost just about the same as both Xbox and PlayStation Controllers. What are you talking about?

Don't worry son, everyone's gonna start playing Xbox with you any day now. Annnnnnnny day.

Can't wait to get my Switch. Gonna be sick AF.

"Can't wait to get my Switch. Gonna be sick AF."

This is something you should put at the start as a disclaimer. All your comments need to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt as you are obviously invested.

"Not to mention that Nintendo always drops the price of their consoles quite dramatically following launch. I'd expect it to be available for $249 to $199 within a year of launch, unless it's selling like hot cakes, which would give them no reason to drop the price. "

You do realize the same applies to sony and microsoft. Nintendo lowers it's price and so will Sony and MS. Doesn't change the fact that the switch is more expensive out of the gate.

"249 to $199 within a year of launch"

If it's selling at that price so soon after launch it will be because it is failing. Nintendo isn't going to take a loss on hardware if they don't have to.

"Really? I thought their competitors current offerings were those Xbox One S's and PS4 Pros laying around at the store that no one is buying because they don't care about the power increases."

The Xbox One S isn't really a more powerful console, it's just an update like the PS Slim. The PS4 pro compared to the switch is an apples to oranges comparison. The PS4 already had enough power, the PS4 pro is more of an enthusiast device that essentially starts out with a new library as nothing could take advantage of it's power to begin with.

"You realize that Nintendo is one of the greatest video game making companies in history right? And that no other console will even be able to touch it when it comes to extremely high rated and exclusive content?

What is Xbox's super awesome exclusive game? Halo 15 Combat Redone? Yeah I don't care, and no one else does either."

Hm, I don't know about that. For one, the switch will never have the Witcher 3. Nintendo makes awesome games but they serve a distinctly different audience. I don't really know what the Xbox's super awesome game would be, I don't have either console.

"Oh yeah and IOS and Android have all those sick games. What is their killer app? Clash Royale? Pokémon Go? A Nintendo property? Lol."

Dead Space, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Star wars, emulators for pretty much every old Nintendo game. You joke about mobile games but you look at Nintendo's games and they haven't really changed since the gamecube. Mario is still the same mario with minor improvements to the formula. Same thing for Zelda and smash.

""Switch requires a paid online sub to play online. Controllers are VERY expensive"

Yes all the consoles now have online paid subscriptions. Nintendo's is going to cost half as much. Read the news. "

Doesn't change the fact that Nintendo has NEVER had a good online service. Nintendo doesn't have nearly the same experience with online gaming as Sony or MS does.

"The controllers cost just about the same as both Xbox and PlayStation Controllers. What are you talking about?"

No, they don't. $80 for little sticks does not equal $60 for the Xbox or PS controllers. That's 33.33% more. Not to mention those are frequently discounted to sub $40 dollars.

"Don't worry son, everyone's gonna start playing Xbox with you any day now. Annnnnnnny day."

See, I could have done without the projection. You as a person who purchased the Switch feels a need to come here and project yourself. In this case, you try to paint me as owning an xbox. You can keep guessing and please do not project your fanboy tendencies on others.

Last edited:
"Can't wait to get my Switch. Gonna be sick AF."

This is something you should put at the start as a disclaimer. All your comments need to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt as you are obviously invested.

"Not to mention that Nintendo always drops the price of their consoles quite dramatically following launch. I'd expect it to be available for $249 to $199 within a year of launch, unless it's selling like hot cakes, which would give them no reason to drop the price. "

You do realize the same applies to sony and microsoft. Nintendo lowers it's price and so will Sony and MS. Doesn't change the fact that the switch is more expensive out of the gate.

"249 to $199 within a year of launch"

If it's selling at that price so soon after launch it will be because it is failing. Nintendo isn't going to take a loss on hardware if they don't have to.

"Really? I thought their competitors current offerings were those Xbox One S's and PS4 Pros laying around at the store that no one is buying because they don't care about the power increases."

The Xbox One S isn't really a more powerful console, it's just an update like the PS Slim. The PS4 pro compared to the switch is an apples to oranges comparison. The PS4 already had enough power, the PS4 pro is more of an enthusiast device that essentially starts out with a new library as nothing could take advantage of it's power to begin with.

"You realize that Nintendo is one of the greatest video game making companies in history right? And that no other console will even be able to touch it when it comes to extremely high rated and exclusive content?

What is Xbox's super awesome exclusive game? Halo 15 Combat Redone? Yeah I don't care, and no one else does either."

Hm, I don't know about that. For one, the switch will never have the Witcher 3. Nintendo makes awesome games but they serve a distinctly different audience. I don't really know what the Xbox's super awesome game would be, I don't have either console.

"Oh yeah and IOS and Android have all those sick games. What is their killer app? Clash Royale? Pokémon Go? A Nintendo property? Lol."

Dead Space, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Star wars, emulators for pretty much every old Nintendo game. You joke about mobile games but you look at Nintendo's games and they haven't really changed since the gamecube. Mario is still the same mario with minor improvements to the formula. Same thing for Zelda and smash.

""Switch requires a paid online sub to play online. Controllers are VERY expensive"

Yes all the consoles now have online paid subscriptions. Nintendo's is going to cost half as much. Read the news. "

Doesn't change the fact that Nintendo has NEVER had a good online service. Nintendo doesn't have nearly the same experience with online gaming as Sony or MS does.

"The controllers cost just about the same as both Xbox and PlayStation Controllers. What are you talking about?"

No, they don't. $80 for little sticks does not equal $60 for the Xbox or PS controllers. That's 33.33% more. Not to mention those are frequently discounted to sub $40 dollars.

"Don't worry son, everyone's gonna start playing Xbox with you any day now. Annnnnnnny day."

See, I could have done without the projection. You as a person who purchased the Switch feels a need to come here and project yourself. In this case, you try to paint me as owning an xbox. You can keep guessing and please do not project your fanboy tendencies on others.

I haven't purchased a Switch yet. Or preordered one. But I would say the chances of me skipping the chance to play all of the AAA gaming experiences that Nintendo offers up with every console it releases are pretty slim.

I personally own just about every gaming console that has been released since the Atari. And yes my copy of PAC Man still runs nicely.

I also own a pretty bad *** gaming PC. It's not state of the art but it's pretty decent. Runs Witcher 3 at like 40-50 fps at 4K on ultra. (R9 390, AMD 4.0 ghz CPU, 32 gigs ram, blah blah blah)

That being said, the Switch offers me something that no other console does. Home and portability.

I can play Smash, Kart, Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Xeno, Presumably Metroid at some point, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and any other awesome Nintendo exclusives that come up. At home on the tv and also portable when I'm taking a **** or my wife is watching a movie or I decide to go anywhere I want and play the same game.

Xbox, PlayStation, and PC don't offer me that.

Like I told you, I own every console. The Vita has remote play, but it sucks *** and the control options are crappy. They don't have the same buttons for each experience, and also it relies on a heavy internet connection constantly.

The Switch offers it with no internet required.

Online play costs money, half as much as the competition. PlayStation was known for shittier multiplayer and online offerings as well, until it started charging money. Which improved the service.

I'm assuming getting paid for it will improve Nintendo's prospects as well.

As for the controllers, yes it is $80 dollars for a controller that can be split into two controllers and yield multiplayer gaming. Also that have improved rumble, and other motion features the Xbox and PlayStation controllers lack.

I dunno. I mean don't buy one man.

Zelda is gonna be sick though. I don't think even one console Zelda game has gotten below 90 on metacritic and they made like 17 of them now I think.

If Mario isn't your thing, then Mario isn't your thing.

I haven't purchased a Switch yet. Or preordered one. But I would say the chances of me skipping the chance to play all of the AAA gaming experiences that Nintendo offers up with every console it releases are pretty slim.

I personally own just about every gaming console that has been released since the Atari. And yes my copy of PAC Man still runs nicely.

I also own a pretty bad *** gaming PC. It's not state of the art but it's pretty decent. Runs Witcher 3 at like 40-50 fps at 4K on ultra. (R9 390, AMD 4.0 ghz CPU, 32 gigs ram, blah blah blah)

That being said, the Switch offers me something that no other console does. Home and portability.

I can play Smash, Kart, Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Xeno, Presumably Metroid at some point, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and any other awesome Nintendo exclusives that come up. At home on the tv and also portable when I'm taking a **** or my wife is watching a movie or I decide to go anywhere I want and play the same game.

Xbox, PlayStation, and PC don't offer me that.

Like I told you, I own every console. The Vita has remote play, but it sucks *** and the control options are crappy. They don't have the same buttons for each experience, and also it relies on a heavy internet connection constantly.

The Switch offers it with no internet required.

Online play costs money, half as much as the competition. PlayStation was known for shittier multiplayer and online offerings as well, until it started charging money. Which improved the service.

I'm assuming getting paid for it will improve Nintendo's prospects as well.

As for the controllers, yes it is $80 dollars for a controller that can be split into two controllers and yield multiplayer gaming. Also that have improved rumble, and other motion features the Xbox and PlayStation controllers lack.

I dunno. I mean don't buy one man.

Zelda is gonna be sick though. I don't think even one console Zelda game has gotten below 90 on metacritic and they made like 17 of them now I think.

If Mario isn't your thing, then Mario isn't your thing.

That's my problem, I've always liked playing Nintendo games. The problem for me is I'm just not feeling like the switch is doing anything for the games. Sure, Nintendo will likely make great games but it will because they are good at it and in spite of the poor hardware. That really won't help though as the Wii U had great titles like Mario 3D and it didn't really help reach beyond the core Nintendo audience.

"That being said, the Switch offers me something that no other console does. Home and portability.

I can play Smash, Kart, Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Xeno, Presumably Metroid at some point, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and any other awesome Nintendo exclusives that come up. At home on the tv and also portable when I'm taking a **** or my wife is watching a movie or I decide to go anywhere I want and play the same game."

What you are describing is a portable, not a console. IMO that's what it should be called. I think it's very possible the switch does well if it Nintendo eats away at it's own 3DS sales.

That's my problem, I've always liked playing Nintendo games. The problem for me is I'm just not feeling like the switch is doing anything for the games. Sure, Nintendo will likely make great games but it will because they are good at it and in spite of the poor hardware. That really won't help though as the Wii U had great titles like Mario 3D and it didn't really help reach beyond the core Nintendo audience.

"That being said, the Switch offers me something that no other console does. Home and portability.

I can play Smash, Kart, Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Xeno, Presumably Metroid at some point, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and any other awesome Nintendo exclusives that come up. At home on the tv and also portable when I'm taking a **** or my wife is watching a movie or I decide to go anywhere I want and play the same game."

What you are describing is a portable, not a console. IMO that's what it should be called. I think it's very possible the switch does well if it Nintendo eats away at it's own 3DS sales.

I can see why you would say it's a portable option. Because it's portable. Previous to this point, Nintendo has offered us two ways to play it's games. At home, and also portable.

Now they are saying they are going to make the same game for home and portable. Like last year, if I wanted to play Mario Kart at home and also on my portable console, I had to buy the game twice. Once on the Wii U, and once for the DS.

When I buy Mario Kart next time, it's for both. Home, and portable. So it's gonna save me money.

Also, you were comparing controllers. The weird joy cons cost more, because there is two of them, and they allow multiplayer. They also offer a standard controller if you want that instead. The pro model. It's the same price as the other consoles controllers.

But take a moment to think about the cost savings on the Switch.

Do they allow you to download games you bought for the home console on your portable? Do they allow you do download games on your home console that you bought on your portable?

Not even a question. It's the same console. Whatever money you are worried about on controllers, think about the savings on playing your games anywhere, just buying the game once.

I can see why you would say it's a portable option. Because it's portable. Previous to this point, Nintendo has offered us two ways to play it's games. At home, and also portable.

Now they are saying they are going to make the same game for home and portable. Like last year, if I wanted to play Mario Kart at home and also on my portable console, I had to buy the game twice. Once on the Wii U, and once for the DS.

When I buy Mario Kart next time, it's for both. Home, and portable. So it's gonna save me money.

Also, you were comparing controllers. The weird joy cons cost more, because there is two of them, and they allow multiplayer. They also offer a standard controller if you want that instead. The pro model. It's the same price as the other consoles controllers.

Do they allow you to download games you bought for the home console on your portable? Do they allow you do download games on your home console that you bought on your portable?

Not even a question. It's the same console. Whatever money you are worried about on controllers, think about the savings on playing your games anywhere, just buying the game once.

PS has cross-buy scheme. The Switch being portable seems like a gimmick, you want a portable to last more than 1.5 hours. Nintendo could have had a similar cross-buy scheme for games such as Mario Kart and Smash which released on both 3DS and Wii U, they did not.

I can definitely see the appeal for those who would have had to bought a portable and the console. Not to mention all the game being on one device makes things simple.

PS has cross-buy scheme. The Switch being portable seems like a gimmick, you want a portable to last more than 1.5 hours. Nintendo could have had a similar cross-buy scheme for games such as Mario Kart and Smash which released on both 3DS and Wii U, they did not.

Yes Sony offered a cross purchasing option to developers. Most games did not use it. Or even make themselves available on the vita in general.

Because they would have to develop an entirely different game to work on the vita.

I don't know if you ever played Uncharted on the vita, but it's not even close to being even near to the experience you get on a PS4.

The developers didn't do it because it would cost them more money and they don't see a point. I have Final Fantasy XV, Witcher 3, Skyrim, and a lot of other games for my PS4 that don't run on my Vita.

Enter the Switch. It's NOT AN OPTION to make it for just the console. Every single game that comes out, works portably as well, free of charge.

The game companies don't even have the option to charge you more to play it portable. You just can.

Back