Nintendo Switch 2 rumors: 8nm Nvidia SoC, performance, pricing, and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: The Switch 2 isn't expected until sometime in early 2025, and there are numerous rumors circulating as to why Nintendo has put off the successor for so long. Some believe a delayed launch is a strategic move that gives Nintendo more time to manufacture sufficient inventory to deter scalpers, while others seem to think Nintendo needs extra time to polish first-party launch titles.

Another group, like the team over at Moore's Law Is Dead (MLID), argue that competition – or rather, lack of it – has a lot to do with how things are playing out.

The original Switch had virtually no competition when it arrived in 2017, but that won't be the case this time around. Handhelds like the Steam Deck, the Asus ROG Ally, and the Lenovo Legion Go are already here, and Valve is no doubt working on a follow-up. There's also talk that Sony could make a PS Vita 2. You'd think, then, that Nintendo would opt for the most powerful hardware possible for the Switch 2 but apparently that's not the case.

MLID sources claim the Switch 2 hardware has been finished since late 2022, and that it'll use a cost-optimized version of Orin with some efficiency tweaks from Lovelace. It'll also be build on a Samsung 8nm node – not exactly the latest process, but it does have its benefits in terms of cost versus efficiency. What's more, supply shouldn't be an issue either. As others move on to newer nodes, that frees up manufacturing capacity that Nintendo can leverage to its advantage.

One of the Nvidia sources also claimed AMD bid hard for the Switch 2, but that Nvidia ultimately won the battle.

At a minimum, based on everything we think we know, MILD believes the Switch 2 should outperform the current-gen Steam Deck. RAM selection could be the tipping point, as Nintendo could go with 8GB, 12GB, or 16GB. The latter seems unlikely, while the middle option would be quite acceptable. Best case scenario, performance could approach that of an Xbox Series S, MILD concluded.

As for price, Nintendo probably won't make that decision until right before launch but somewhere between $349 - $499 seems to make the most sense, with $399 being the sweet spot.

Image credit: Erik Mclean

Permalink to story.

Hard to match the Xbox's performance with a TDP of 15-20w
Not really? The series S is weaksauce. It's between the RX 6500 and 6600, pathetically slow by modern standards. Given how far NVidia's arch is ahead of AMD in terms of efficiency it's not all that crazy of a guess. The ADA arch is very efficient when clocked down.

Of course, taking anything MLID says as correct is a 30IQ move in general.

I'm mildly surprised Nintendo took a break from shoveling **** into their e-shop long enough to develop new hardware for their little mobile game platform.

Not really? The series S is weaksauce. It's between the RX 6500 and 6600, pathetically slow by modern standards. Given how far NVidia's arch is ahead of AMD in terms of efficiency it's not all that crazy of a guess. The ADA arch is very efficient when clocked down.

Of course, taking anything MLID says as correct is a 30IQ move in general.
Yeah, it's 1/3 of the xbox SX, weaker than an entry-level GPU. The problem is getting that performance using only 20w (split between CPU and GPU). Nvidia isn't far enough ahead of AMD to magically make an 8nm SOC ultra-efficient. In fact, we've already seen that Nvidia's 8nm GPUs were inefficient against RDNA2 @ 7nm.

The Switch occupies an entirely separate consumer ecosystem than stuff like the Deck and its ilk, not sure why the author is trying to position any of those handheld PCs as some sort of competition for Switch 2.

If you're in deep with the Nintendo ecosystem, there is really no leaving that walled garden.

The Deck and derivatives are really an offshoot/niche of the more hardcore PC gaming community and I doubt the two userbases overlap much.

8nm sounds like Ampere to me and not a step up from the current SOC. I do suspect it will run very hot even if can be a lot faster. The old iGPU is based on Maxwell, so the architecture jump is a significant one.

The Switch occupies an entirely separate consumer ecosystem than stuff like the Deck and its ilk, not sure why the author is trying to position any of those handheld PCs as some sort of competition for Switch 2.

If you're in deep with the Nintendo ecosystem, there is really no leaving that walled garden.

The Deck and derivatives are really an offshoot/niche of the more hardcore PC gaming community and I doubt the two userbases overlap much.
There are many on these nintendo articles that REEE about how machines like the steam deck make the switch obsolete, and nint3endo will publish mario on seXbox any day now! If they dont mention it in the article, all hell breaks loose.
8nm sounds like Ampere to me and not a step up from the current SOC. I do suspect it will run very hot even if can be a lot faster. The old iGPU is based on Maxwell, so the architecture jump is a significant one.
>15w
>run very hot

BRUH. That's not how temperatures work.

You lost me at Moore... This guy has zero credibility and his "findings" has never been confirmed.Nintendo is just going Nintendo. Period.

DLSS will be the magic of Switch 2.

The original one needs good upscaling badly.

If 60 fps is going to be default for Switch 2, count me in.

If its "up to" 30 fps again, then no thanks.

You lost me at Moore... This guy has zero credibility and his "findings" has never been confirmed.Nintendo is just going Nintendo. Period.
He just "reach out to his sources" and talk out of his *** = Views.

Back