Nintendo Wii U 20 months later: It's time to get one

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/848-wii-u-review-update/]https://www.techspot.com/review/848-wii-u-review-update/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Stephen Totilo, I'd like to get in on the gig too. What would you suggest, getting paid by the word or by the picture - I know Nintendo's pockets run deep.

Console is still to expensive for me especially when there is barely any third party support.

I got a wii u and the only things it's good at is play indies and nintendo games. Third party games that were released at launch are really badly ported. Third party's besides sega and ubisoft don't even release games on it anymore. But it's got some good features and it's os is definitely more smooth and stable than the ps4 even though the cpu and gpu are way weaker. I have a ps4 and wii u but I didn't get an xbone because it's not worth the price yet.

Took me a while to realise it's a Kotaku article posted at Techspot.

I like the idea of playing away from the the TV, but according to Nintendo I can only play Wii games with a Wiimote, even when viewing on the controller, so there goes my chance for the Wii U to help cut on my Wii (classic controller compatible subset of my) backlog.

Anyway, the Wii U has some appeal, but since I'm not gaming much and have hundreds of hours of PC games I can play on my Windows tablet, I don't think I'll buy into it until the price drops further. That said, having seen that I can order it from Amazon.co.uk for a a decent price and low shipping, I'm tempted. But it really would be a waste of money at this point.

I plan on getting one around Black Friday or during Christmas sales. Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D world already have me sold.
Won't be getting a PS4 or XB1. Ever. (Although I do fancy the PS4)

I got my son a Wii U this last Christmas and as person that grew up gaming, I love it. The games are actually just fun...just flat out a blast to play. Its not about graphics with the Wii U, its about creating enjoyable games and as usual, they've nailed it. Mario Kart 8, Zelda Wind Waker, Pikeman 3....all great games and hours of fun. I've even gone back to my roots and put Street Fighter and Double Dragon on my sons console. The Game pad is a feature thats worth its weight in gold as well. I can watch a hockey or baseball game and my son can sit on the couch next to me and still play Mario Kart 8 or nearly any other game. Thats important because he's not tethered to another TV in the house... we can be in the same room and sit together doing different things but still be in each others company. Love the Wii U, cant say enough good things about it.

I own a WiiU and there are definitely pros and cons. The cons have been in Nintendo's Shop. It was or still is down and would not let me purchase anything. Called Nintendo directly and they did say it was an issue they were fixing (still are?). I tried again a few days later, same thing....BUT WHO CARES. The system is dope other then that. Mario cart 8 is one of the smoothest, great looking games ever.

Tell me this though, HOW DID THEY NOT MENTION MARIO MAKER?!?! That game ALONE will boost sales when people play it and see how awesome it is. Everyone I have shown the trailer to is onboard to get one when it comes out. Sure, it will get old after a while, but nothing sounds more fun to me then Mario Maker drinking games and seeing what you came up with in the morning.

Nintendo makes awesome, fun, entertaining games -period-. I will stick with the WiiU and my PS3 for now until The Phantom Pain comes out..Y'all already know that game is going to be BANANAS...hopefully they bundle it to a system.

Great article. I purchased the Wii U because I wanted ZombiU at launch. To date, it is still my favorite Wii U game. I think the ratings from the critics was unjustified and that ZombiU was a great example of how the Gamepad should be utilized. If anyone is gets a Wii U, I highly recommend that they get ZombiU. It is a hidden gem. Just remember, it is Survival Horror. Not a FPS in the mold of COD Zombies or anything of the like. Nuff Said.

Hey hey, I got a WiiU at launch and have waited and waited for this turnaround to happen. Games were sparse at first to say the least……but MarioKart is immense, Mario 3D world is best played with 4 players, the Karaoke app is class and the Wind Waker remake (free with MarioKart) is perfect. I’ve got a couple of CoD’s on it and loved em, shame the new one isn’t out on it….yet. Smash Brothers should be the next big hit I’ve never been a fan. Rumours of StarFox are abound though!

Nope! not fooling me again nintendo
I know that Super Mario 3D Land and mariokart are the only good things they currently have, then zelda and super smash bros and THAT'S IT

not falling again for this nintendo crap, I will just borrow one for the good games and be done with it, we all know that it will have zero third party support a year from now, just like the wii

Nice try but im not gonna buy another dust collector

For $300 I don't know how any of you can be complaining that it is too expensive especially when it comes with Mario Kart 8, Super Mario/Luigi Wii U, or Skylanders for free (depending on which bundle you choose). You're basically getting the console for $240 and the game for $60 (which you would have to buy anyway if you wanted any enjoyment out of your purchase.) I don't know, is a $50 price drop worth missing out on a year's worth of gaming enjoyment? That is if Nintendo ever does drop the price on it let alone dropping the price within the next year. The console is already dirt cheap as it is. IMO, I don't see a price drop coming for 2-3 years.

Got my Wii U a few months back and love it. I really only care about the first-party games like Mario Kart, Mario World, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc. I have a gaming PC, PS4, and X1 for all the 3rd party stuff. Loved playing Zelda Windwaker in HD, Mario Kart is as exciting as I can remember, trying to find time for Donkey Kong. All the games on the horizon, like the next Zelda game, Star Fox, and more have me confident in my purchase. There are plenty of games to play. Not all are my kind of game, but I know other gamers enjoy them.

Having the gamepad with the screen is a really nice convenience, I can watch baseball, and play a game or my gf and I can watch a TV show and I can play a game at the same time.

I think the best companion for a gaming pc is a WiiU, you play third party games on the Pc y the best console exclusives on the WiiU, what else can you ask?

Back