NLTDR missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattw

NLTDR/hal.dll missing

I formatted my HDD (got rid of OS and everything) and now i get this when i try to installing a new OS.

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
windows root/system32/hal.dll
please reinstall a copy of the above

I have found out i need to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT from the XP disk and paste directly onto the HDD thats being a crap, but there is also a BOOT.INI file i need to copy over, but what is this file? where abouts on the disk is it?
or do i need to create this file?

or is this HDD just buggered?

Thanks a lot :)

I TRY to boot from disk... it says:

Press any key to boot from disk: (so I try to, but it will not allow me to for some reason)

Then i get the error message, NTLDR missing... this then move to another screen saying

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
windows root/system32/hal.dll
please reinstall a copy of the above

Be sure that the OS is booting from CD unit

Hi,
Please check to see for sure that the PC boots from the optical drive. Usually, it sais "press any key to boot from CD" and afterwards "Windows .. is checking the installed software"
I think it's not booting correctly, but anyway try the following:
Search the Net for some floppy disk utility which recognizes the NTFS drives. Or try to boot with a Linux liveCd. Than, save your data, format it and reinstall.
Usually, if the system boots from CD with Windows CD in it, you can try to restore a bad Windows...
Check your Windows CD. Try with a back-up copy, or with another optical unit.
Good luck.

If you boot the installation CD, then it doesn't matter what you have on your drive.

Obviously the CD boot fails. You can try making a boot floppy with CD drivers and using that to start the XP instllation.

Boot from your CD ROM

With your description of the problem, you are still booting from your HD. Try these steps.

1. Turn off your PC
2. Turn it on and your BIOS settings. This is done by pressing DEL after the bootup memory check is finished.
3. In the BIOS screen, change your 1st bootup device to CD ROM (it is now in HD 0 that is why its booting up with your HD that doesnt have the files NTLDR, BOOT.ini etc..) .
4. Exit and Save your BIOS screen. Make sure you have your WINDOWS CD in the CD ROM at this stage.
5. The PC will reboot and will show " Press any key to boot from CD Rom". press any key.

The CD will now activate the windows setup and just follow the instructions.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back