TechSpot

No access to administrator account

By frankusmaximus
Nov 1, 2009
  1. Hi guys,

I am trying to fix a WinXP SP3 Laptop laden with malware. I was in the middle of performing the tasks listed in the "UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions" post by Julio, but upon rebooting (after disabling the real-time maintenance programs), the only account it listed was "Guest". I cannot access msconfig - it says Access Denied and suggests that I log on using an Administrator account, but none are listed under Users Accounts in Control Panel. I am unable to install any downloaded programs or do anything that requires Administrator rights. What is my next step in resolving this issue? :(

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Were you able to get Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Hijack This download to the machine> If 'yes':

Boot into Safe Mode
    • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
    • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Try to do Steps 4,5, and 7.

4. rf6647

rf6647 TS Maniac Posts: 829

Frankusmaximus - Did you logon as Admin and from there determined no user accounts existed?

As instructed, boot into safe mode. If Welcome Screen only offers 'guest' for logon, then enter "ctrl+alt+del" twice to bring up a dialogue box asking for user/password. Logon as 'administrator' .

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.