No audio output device installed

Jhong

I read some of the other posts here, but i haven't been able to find a solution. I have a white "X" in a red circle on my speaker symbol and when I move my arrow over it it says "No audio output device installed". I am running windows 7 Pro just in case that matters. When I go to the sound in the control panel, it says No audio devices are installed. I know when I go into the device manager there should be a sound , video & game controllers but there is none. I also went into msinfo32 under components and when I go under sound device, there is nothing. Any Suggestions???

Did the audio ever work? Do you have built in audio on your motherboard or an audio card installed in one of the PCI slots (does the motherboard have audio inputs/outputs that are accessible on the upper part of the back panel with the ethernet, USB, and others? or are the audio jacks lower on a card held in by a screw?)? If the motherboard does have built in audio, is it enabled in BIOS?

Yes the audio worked before. Im running a hp pavilion dv6000 laptop. The audio card is on my laptop. I'm also operating a Phoenix BIOS. I ran through the start up and I didn't see an option in my setup to enable sound in my BIOS. Can you tell me how to check to see if I have it enabled?

Ooh, laptops are not my specialty. I can try some stuff but I may run out of ideas and have to pass this off to a more experienced member. I'm going to look up some stuff but in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to re-install the driver (MIGHT fix it and if not won't do any harm). You can go to HP's website, download your audio driver and re-install it from here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1842155

I'll do some more research and see if I can find a Linux distribution that you can run from your CD drive to check if the audio works on Linux. If not, I would say it's your audio hardware that needs to be replaced. Don't take my word on that just yet though.

P.S. I found an awesome manual for that laptop here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Rg-IkZ1hSLwNBS7CQ&sig2=ETa1y8sQ-WNp1l4oZTbJYg

I recently have had the exact same problem. I also have the hp pavilion dv2000. I restored to an earlier date. I have reformatted. I have checked BIOS and several other things as well. Anyone have any advice. I am also getting an error saying my touchpad has stopped working.

I found this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-45570-1

Make sure that they are talking about the hardware in your machine before you install this. set a restore point before installing the software and check that your machine has that "Conexant High Definition Audio Chip". Hold windows button and press "r" then type "dxdiag" in the run dialogue box and press enter. Check sound tab for compatible hardware. Them listing XP as the compatible OS makes me nervous but I'm pretty sure drivers haven't changed much from XP to Vista to 7.

i tried to re-install my drivers for my audio, I recieved an error message saying " Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the device for this driver." I also ran the "dxdiag" in the run dialog box, and the sound tab says "No sound card found. If one is expected, You should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer."

I don't see how the sound card isn't there because I never taken my laptop apart, and I also remember that I used to see the "Conexant High Definition Audio" before. Do you have any other potential solutions that you may have?

I'm assuming you ran through the instructions in the link I posted above? Maybe try installing the driver in safe mode.

reboot and keep pressing F8 until you get a windows menu that gives you boot options. Boot in safe mode with networking and run the audio driver file to see if it installs without an error.

Sorry for waiting so long to reply. I tried running safe mode w/networking, and I get the same results. "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the device for this driver." Do you have any other suggestions?

I have one last attempt to make sure the audio card doesn't work before replacing the audio card. I would attempt to run a Linux Live CD from your CD drive to see if you can make sound work in a totally different OS. If you don't know how to do this, respond with your CPU type (ie. 32-bit AMD), and I will find a suitable distribution for you. Also, JUST in case, be sure to test that the sound doesn't work when you have headphones or external speakers plugged in and not plugged in.

If audio doesn't work from a Linux Live CD (Sabayon has the drivers according to my research), then I would be out of troubleshooting steps to take, refer to maintenance manual above to disassemble PC, and replace the soundcard.

@jhong

Your HP uses Hi Def Audio. (skim [post=1111375]THIS[/post] post for more info / tips about HD sound)

If you look in Device Manager
> under System Device category, do you see the Hi Def audio controller listed?
> Do you see ANY yellow icons ANYWHERE in Device Manager?

Other thing i can think of is reinstall the chipset drivers if the Audio controller isn't working

If your HD Audio Controller failed then HD devices connected to it won't be detected or work. (i;ve seen people in these forums before with HP notebooks and failed HD audio controllers)

If the controller failed, you'll need buy a new audio card as already suggested

I tried using headphones in the headphone jack, and still no sound. I just so happen to have Ubuntu (linux OS) on a VMWare player (assuming this qualifies as using a different OS) and I tried to play sound and still no luck.

@ LookinAround,

I went under device manager, and under system device category, there aren't any yellow icons anywhere. I'll try to re-install chipset drivers. Only thing is I don't see any audio controllers in my device manager or under system device...

I tried using headphones in the headphone jack, and still no sound. I just so happen to have Ubuntu (linux OS) on a VMWare player (assuming this qualifies as using a different OS) and I tried to play sound and still no luck.

The Virtual Machine is running on top of windows like any other program and emulating a separate computer but still relies on Windows to run its processes. The emulated Linux machine doesn't have direct access to the hardware, it has to ask Windows to access the hardware. A Linux Live CD however, stores the entire operating system on the CD including drivers and software so that windows files are not even running. You have to ensure that your boot order is set to check the CD/DVD drive for an operating system before the hard drive through the BIOS options. Live CD's have come a long way and give you multiple options on how to use Linux. It is possible to accidentally erase your hard drive and install only Linux but the prompts are pretty clear and try to not let that happen.

It sounds like the audio card in your laptop is broken to me also but if you want to try one last thing to make sure the hardware is bad, Linux might give you an answer. If Linux can't play sound either, you may be forced to buy an audio card and tear down your laptop (much harder than a desktop) or decide to just live with no sound.

The Virtual Machine is running on top of windows like any other program and emulating a separate computer but still relies on Windows to run its processes. The emulated Linux machine doesn't have direct access to the hardware, it has to ask Windows to access the hardware. A Linux Live CD however, stores the entire operating system on the CD including drivers and software so that windows files are not even running. You have to ensure that your boot order is set to check the CD/DVD drive for an operating system before the hard drive through the BIOS options. Live CD's have come a long way and give you multiple options on how to use Linux. It is possible to accidentally erase your hard drive and install only Linux but the prompts are pretty clear and try to not let that happen.

It sounds like the audio card in your laptop is broken to me also but if you want to try one last thing to make sure the hardware is bad, Linux might give you an answer. If Linux can't play sound either, you may be forced to buy an audio card and tear down your laptop (much harder than a desktop) or decide to just live with no sound.

If I'm understanding this right, this will be a dual boot option with Linux or Windows? Can you recommend a linux program download that is easy to use? I'm not that familiar with Ubuntu yet that I have on my VMWare Player

1) Knoppix Live CDs are pretty straight forward to create and use. See step #2 [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

2) But if there's no hint of that HD Audio Controller (as your posts suggested) your onboard HD audio most likely failed (i've seen it happen to others with HP laptops posting for help in these forums)

3) If need be is easiest/cheapest to get a USB sound card since you have a laptop

Hello. Don't worry I've just experianced the same problem. What you need to do is this, follow the instructions: control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Under sound there's 'Manage audio devices' -> Open the tab 'Playback' if not already opened -> Right click in the large box which may be empty -> Right click Speakers and enable it -> You should be done:)

If this didn't work then I'm sorry, you may have to take it into a shop for repair but it worked for me.

Back