No cursor in many games

sethbest

I have a system with a HIS H585FN1GD Radeon HD 5850 graphics card, and many games that I install have no cursor. I have tried troubleshooting this several times. I installed the drivers from CD originally, then to try to remedy this I installed from ATI's auto detect, this did not fix it. So I went found the specific page for the HIS card, and followed the link to its drivers and still no fixes.

I run two monitors, configured in the Cataclysm Control Center. When I disable the second monitor and only run one the cursor will appear in games. If I can get the game to run in windowed mode, the cursor will appear. The problem is many games will not run in windowed mode, with no configuration options in game, no results from adding the windowed tag onto the shortcut, and no choices in ini's or cfg files that will allow it.

Some games will only be without a cursor on the title menu, and I can fumble around to get a game started, and will have the games custom cursor in game.

I am running windows 7 ultimate.

I would be very grateful for help with this, I would really like to stop having to disable my second monitor every time I want to play a game.

note that some games do not have the cursor EVEN if the second monitor is disabled.

Three probable solutions.

Go to your control panel, then go to "mouse" and underneath "pointer options" make sure that "display pointer trails" is unchecked.

Or:

Change pointer scheme to Windows Standard or Default.

Or:

Type desk.cpl in the Start Search box, and then click desk.cpl in the Programs list.
Click Advanced Settings. On the Troubleshoot tab, click Change settings. In the Display Adapter Troubleshooter dialog box, drag the Hardware acceleration slider two notches to the left of the Full setting, and then click OK three times.

Those should do it.

Cursor trails did the trick. You saved me a lot of time and frustration in the future, I wish I had asked sooner. Thanks PandoraProxy.

Back