No deskstop icons when i started Window

Condor

This happen randomly and i couldn't get to Ctrl + Alt + Del to shut down my computer.

My question is: what is the best way to shut down my PC without damaging the system?

should i just hit the Reset Key or hold down the power to shut itself off?

what other safety measure i need to do to help reduce further harm to my PC? I usually scan disk after a hard reboot

thanks in advance

Are you able to hit the Windows Start key? Can you shut down from there? What version of Windows?

Are you able to hit the Windows Start key? Can you shut down from there? What version of Windows?
hi Mailpup

well nothing seem to happen when i get a blank desktop with no icon. I could still see my wallpaper through and everything has load. Just no icons.

Nothing happen when i clicked on the window key. I'm using Window XP pro sp2.

The only way to fix the problem is either hard resetting or powerdown and it worry me if those methods hurt my pc in the long run, i wonder.

thanks

There can be several issues which may cause such a behavior.

First of all, have a look at Event Viewer Logs (you can find it in Control Panel, Administrative Tools) and see what information is being recorded for such events.

Secondly, download diagnostic utility from your HDD manufacturer's site and run it to check health of your HDD.

Back