No desktop icons

zag1402

hi guys -

need your help had a virus attack on my main computer - windows XP have done virus scan and cleared the virus - the problem now is I can't right click on my desktop or see my desktop icons. Did systems restore - no good. typed in explorer.exe in run/open programme - still no joy. What can I do?? Can't reset icons as can't right click on desktop.

First off, do you know exactly when you got the infection, System Restore may have taken you back to when you had the infection. Run this free scanner.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

You next move will be to run a Repair install, insert the XP disc in the CD drive and reboot into the Bios and set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order, save and exit. Follow the prompts as if doing an installation, don't choose R for recovery console in the first menu. When you get to the second menu there will be a choice to do a Repair Install, select that and it will reinstall XP leaving all your other software and files intact. You will then need to switch on Automatic updates to get the system fully up to date again.

Back