No display on new PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.

auntyjack

Hi all - just built a new pc to these specs:
cpu - intel q6600 2.4ghz
mobo - gigabyte p35c-ds3r
ram - 2x apacer 2gb ddr2 800mhz
video - gigabyte pci-e 512mb 8500gt (gv-nx85t512hp)
hdd - Western Digital 500gb SATA
optical - pioneer 20x SATA dvd-rw
case - antec nine hundred
psu - antec earth watts 500w

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting a signal to the monitor. I'm using an old LG 775 (which was working fine on my old rig yesterday) and when I boot I can hear the monitor start up and click, but all that happens is that the black screen just gets a little more luminous.

The speaker I hooked up emits one short beep to show that the machine is booting up ok, but of course with no display I can't view POST or enter the BIOS settings.

I've tried a different analog monitor and have tried a vga to dvi-i adaptor to see if the vga port on the video card was stuffed. No luck.

I don't have a spare pci-e card to swap out to see if my new video card is not working.

Oh, there's no onboard video on the mobo.

I guess that my brand new video card could be a dud, but I would appreciate any opinion or advice that you could give me.

Thanks!

Just in case:

Remove the power cord from the back of the computer
Hold in the computer's power on button (for 30 secs)
Re-insert the power cord
Try turning on.

Failing that, reseat the Video card (no doubt done countless times)

Make sure everything is getting power. There is a power connection on your motherboard for your processor. I forgot to do this once and I had the same thing happen.

Attachments

• Power.JPG
    Power.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 9
No - everything is brand new, straight out of their respective boxes.

A friend of mine may have a spare pci-e card for me to try out - just not much time at the moment as it's the busiest time of the week for me.

Solution in sight...

My friend came over during my break btween shifts today and brought his geforce 8800 to try out.

It worked - got display, POST, got into BIOS... then the machine rebooted spontaneously.
Rebooted again, and in the 30-40 second window before the machine reset itself, we checked the temperature settings and found that the cpu was running at 107 degrees celsius.
Oops. That will teach me to build a pc without using any thermal paste between the cpu and the cpu cooler.

Anyway, looks like the brand new card is the culprit, so I'll be exchanging it on Tuesday.

I'll let you know if that fixes things for good.

Thanks!

Good news, thanks for the update
Yes thermal paste is required, and most builders do miss that part (actually the new Heatsink should have had this already - under the thin plastic cover, that was removed?? I hope.)

Solved...

It was the card but when I took it back to the shop it worked fine in their test machine - bizarre. Ended up exchanging it for a different brand and it worked straight out of the box.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back