No HDMI sound with DVDs

By hedgert
Jan 7, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My laptop (HP Pavillion 9000) plays DVDs and MPEGs etc with sound and video.
    I have connected my laptop to my LCD TV using an HDMI cable and get mixed results. I changed my sound settings to use the SPDIF driver instead of the built in speakers. Initially I got no sound from anything except .avi files and .wav sound files. However, downloading the Vista codec pack fixed playing MPEGs. So I can now play recorded video (and music) content using Media Player with sound and video.
    However, when I put a DVD in the drive and play that, I get no sound at all.
    What else do I need to do?
  2. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TechSpot Maniac Posts: 579

What software are U using to play DVD's?

I know in WinDVD & PowerDVD you need to select SPDIF in Audio options or it will output to analogue
  3. hedgert

hedgert Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I'm using Windows Media Player (and it is already set to output to SPDIF).
    I notice that it isn't just DVDs that play without sound through SPDIF, I've come across some recorded MPEGs that also play with video but no sound.
    I saw another post on this forum about no sound suggesting a more comprehensive codec package - which I installed: K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 3.6.5. Alas it didn't make any difference.

I saw yet another post about installing VLC Media Player - I did and that plays the same DVDs and MPEGs with sound - great. But, why won't Windows Media Player do it?
    What else can I try?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.