No icons on my desktop

By simmo-69
Jul 7, 2007
  1. my xp starts up fine. then trys to load the all the icons. all that happens then is they flash a couple of times then nothing. the only thing i can do then is ctrl,alt,delete. any thoughts please
  2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

So you also have no Task Bar at the bottom ?
  3. simmo-69

simmo-69 TS Rookie Topic Starter

no taskbar aswell

all icons and task bar pop up for a couple of seconds each time for about five times. then once they go off for the last time, nothing. all i can do is bring up the task manager. its still just as bad today.
  4. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

Send momok a pm here to start you on the Spyware help road.
  5. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

Can you boot into "safe mode" If so, "system restore" would be available. Good Luck.
  6. simmo-69

no the same thing happens

the sameting happens when in safe mode. a black screen comes on, and it says safe mode in all four corners. then nothing again. it just stops and all i can do is bring up the task manager window.
  7. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

Just a shot in the dark, but have you checked the processes in task manager to see if explorer.exe is running?
  8. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

What does ctr,alt,delete accomplish ?
    What does your desktop look like if you wait till your sure everything is loaded? Do you have a Task Bar ? It been assumed you don't.
    Makes a big difference to continue.
    Sounds like you have too much loading.
    Try Selective Startup in msconfig.
    Try your Windows keys,like E-mail.
    Note : Remove all cd's or floppy disks.
    Shut down all things like Firewalls and Virus protection till you get a normal
    desktop and Taskbar.
    The Taskbar has "Show Desktop" option.
  9. simmo-69

cheers for all your help guys but ive just accepted my losses and formatted. its my main and i cant afford for it to be down too long cheers anyway. si
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.