No Internet access

By cableman
Jan 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. It was working fine until I awoke to find it had suffered a serious shutdown. From then on no internet access.

I am using sn HP Probook 4525s with Windows 7 the rest of my computers on my router are fine but they are hardwired. The laptop is the only one using wireless. I also have a port for a hardwired connection and I have tried it to no use.

I show a connection to the router but have no internet access. I contacted support but they only said I have a problem with my laptop and they can't help with that.

I am stuck. If anyone can help please give me some advice.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,342   +297

The first thing to verify is the device drivers.

right-click My Computer->Manage
    find the Device Manager and click [+] to expand it
    scroll to Network adapters
    look for any red or yellow markers and get those resolve
    (you can ignore any 1394 device; that's the firewire interface, not an internet device)

you can then see this post for common issues with networking configurations
  3. cableman

cableman TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 175

I checked not only the network adapters but everything in the device manager and there were no conflicts. I will now read the post you listed.
  4. RayBray

RayBray Newcomer, in training

Have you tired to uninstall and reinstall the network drivers from device manager if so i would recommend a full reinstall or s system restore.
  5. cableman

I believe that you are right. I think that too many files are corrupted and many of the necessary start up programs are not running and that is keeping my system from working properly. I am locked out of many essential controls that need changing to fix the problem and I am in Administrator mode.

I want a copy of Windows 7 professional where I can add my own COA sticker numbers so it will be perfectly legit. Do you have any suggestions where I can download an OEM Windows 7 Professional that allows me to enter my own serial numbers?
  6. cableman

System Restore is one of the main programs that I am locked out of. Believe me I have tried. I got this laptop through my college school online and it has Microsoft word 2007 and I don't want to lose that program. Do you know if it comes with Windows 7 professional? I have a legitimate copy and legitimate COA sticker for Windows 7 Professional but as you know the manufacturers don't send any discs with the computers anymore and I can't afford that much money for the program and I have to use it for my school papers. I am out of work and going to school online for a degree so I can get a better job if possible in this economy.
  7. jobeard

You can always go to OpenOffice to get compatible Word, Excel & Powerpoint :)
  8. RayBray

RayBray Newcomer, in training

Was office preinstalled or did it come on a seperet disc? if it came on a disc and you are out of licencis you should be abel to talk to microsoft for renowing a one licence.

i have done this with them and they only needed pop. :grinthumb
  9. cableman

It came installed on the computer that the college sent me and they want me to turn all my essays in done with Microsoft word. I have the legitimate COA sticker for Windows 7 but I don't think that will help me with Microsoft. Do you think the laptop is so bad it has to have Windows re-installed.

I just thought, I have another computer (A Dell) but I could make a windows image and clone it since it has Microsoft Word on it. Would that work?
  10. jobeard

get a USB thumb drive, copy the files to it and then use the files wherever you can insert the USB.
  11. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

A cloned image of a Dell branded Windows install would probably not work on an HP machine. :(

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.