No Internet connection - DHCP won't start Error 1068

MPaul

One week ago my PC, running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3, stopped connecting to internet.

Maybe it all started some weeks ago, when there was difficult connection? - if I booted my PC when the router was already on, I needed to switch off and then on to gain internet connection and access.

The PC has 2 connection, one wired and another wireless, and noone works.
Tried unplugging wireless USB connection and disabling wired one; then installed a new NIC but nothing changed - no internet connection; so restored previous hardware configuration - onboard lan & wireless USB.
Other devices connect to internet without any issues using same router (PCs, smartphones, ...).
System tray connection status is always trying to get network address.
Ipconfig command reports IP address 0.0.0.0.
Tried Microsoft Support methods, run MicrosoftEasyFix50562 and MicrosoftFixit50267 without issue resolution.
It seems an issue like one described in post https://www.techspot.com/community/t...cp-wont-start-error-1068-dhcp-afd-sys.182903/, but FRST logs posted yesterday, examined by malware expert in Virus and Malware Removal Forum, don't reveal anything malicious.

Can anyone suggest me what to do, possibly without reinstalling o.s., please...?

I'll assume your subject is accurate:- DHCP Client service fails to start.

Go to CP->Admin tools->Computer Mgmt
  • open services
  • scroll to find DHCP Client->open it
  • click on the Dependencies Tab
now make sure all of them are actually started

Opened DHCP client Property\Dependencies tab; it depends from following system components (please note I'm using italian version):
-AFD
-TCP/IP protocol Driver
- IPSEC Driver
-NetBios on Tcpip
-TCP/IP protocol Driver
-IPSEC Driver
Where do I have to watch to make sure they are actually started?

In the same list where you found DHCP Client.
Click on the column heading NAME to get the list sorted alphabetically,
then scroll until you see one of the names listed in dependencies and
view the column heading STATUS - - should show as STARTED and the next column as Automatic.
if empty, then it is not running and we need to determine WHY.

Looked throughly in Services list, I wasn't able to find ANY of of components listed in my previous post #3 - I.e. I've seen Property of every single list element, and noone has those names, not in service name nor visualized name nor exe file name.

Well, don't feel bad - - neither do I, but I'm on win/7 pro 64bit and you're on XP so I was hoping that might make a difference.
  • Confirm: DHCP Client is not Started
I'll do some research and get back to you . . .

Go to CP->Admin tools->Computer Mgmt
  • open Device Mgr
  • view->Show hidden devices
  • open Non-PNP devices
  • all your dependencies should be her AND opening each should display Device is working properly

Googling for meaning of AFD using ''dhcp client afd dependency'', first result is a Microsoft Answer article.
Following 'Most Helpful Reply' procedure, and found 'Netbios su Tcpip' non running.
I've applied described method, and XP is now restarting...

No, I found the solution by you, who known the insights and shown me the path... like a Guru - :))
Thanks again

Back