No more music CDs without copy protection, claims BMG unit

By Mictlantecuhtli
Nov 6, 2002
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,345   +11

More than nine months later:

Last week, I happened to buy one CD. This is what is said in its back cover:

Seems that track 11 contains the software player that is only seen in Windows operating systems. I don't know how this kind of CDs work in Macs, though. Maybe someone could dare to try?
  3. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

Coward Musics Companies..only thinking of making huge profits by selling cds at high prices. Afraid to lower the price thinking that they will go bankrupt.
  4. Supra

Supra TS Enthusiast Posts: 190

The new Linkin Park - Meteora CD is copy protected. I popped it in my PC and I cant play any music from it at all. All that I can do is look at some of the cd extras put on it like the video for their song Somewhere I Belong, and some icons and wallpapers for fan websites. Doesn't bother me too much since I only bought it to play it in my car and it works fine there.
  5. filthy_mcnasty

filthy_mcnasty TS Rookie Posts: 78

the LP cd is copy protected yes but if it wont play for you i would recommend you kick your PC. it plays just fine on my computer (and burns just fine for that matter too, despite their copy protection crap)
  6. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 664

Audio CD Copy protection is a waste of money, on the part of these big companies. At the end of the day there will always be a way of copying Audio CD's providing they play on a standard CD player.

Copy Protection may stop music being directly ripped to MP3, but it will not stop the Line In socket on a PC being able to recieve the audio from the CD player, will it? Yeah it may take a bit longer for people to rip CDs, but it can still be done.
  7. MYOB

MYOB TS Rookie Posts: 492

In a situation similar to Mic's screenshot, I copied a copy-protected Shakira CD for someone. Windows couldn't see it, CloneCD couldn't copy it, but BeOS could.... weird
  8. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

I won't buy a CD that is copy protected. three reasons, one, I don't like the whole idea of it, two, they won't play on my car CD player, three they won't play on my PC. Those are the two main places I listen to music.
  9. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

Well said SB, how can they actually expect people to buy these better CDs? It's only going to waste money and sales, since someone will create a crack or patch to fix them to play on computers, but then they still won't play in cars! Is there any up-side to this??
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.