TechSpot

No POST, error with PSU or motherboard?

By Taunks
Jan 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A week ago i got a new CPU(AMD phenom x4 9750 95w) It was running at high temperatures under medium to low load (60c @30-50%) So i had purchased a new heatsink (corsair h50) to fix this issue. After a day or two under playing Bad Company 2 for a few hours my computer had shut off. I was able to boot up fine and figured it might be due to temps so i started to monitor them closer. Under full load (100% on occt) i wouldn't go above 50c.

Few days later while playing Bad company 2 it did it again. I thought it might be something with BC2 as it only shut off with this game. Next day shuts off while playing world of warcraft. I booted up and let it sit for a few hours before trying to play bad company 2 single player. This time when i turned on the computer it posted but didn't have time to fully boot before the power shut off again. tried booting again and my computer only turned on for a second. Now i cannot boot. I grabbed a PSU from a friend while i think it may not be powerful enough for my graphics card it will not post.
    Taking out the card doesn't help either.

PSU i had was 500w
    PSU i am borrowing is 450w

TLDR: Computer wont post on 500w (might be dead/dying) or 450w w/o graphics card

Question: Is my motherboard dead? Should i replace PSU as i replace Mobo? or mobo then psu?
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

this really depends on the quality of the psu but imo the old psu could have damaged your MB but i would definitely try another psu first to make sure.
  3. Taunks

Taunks TS Rookie Topic Starter

the 500w psu is ultra
    the 450w psu is xion

I did try using the xion psu W/o my video card in and it didn't post.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.