No power to the psu fan..no bios...nothing but a green standby light on the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

efrankb

Hello everyone

This is my first post, as well as my first build attempt, so please be gentle. :)

P4 3.0 ghz
ASUS P4P800-VM
480w psu
1 stick MD4412UOE 512MB DDR-400 PC3200 Power Memory
Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics

I purchased all of my parts from newegg, and i finally found the proper time to put everything together. After getting a cpu fan that was too big, i purchased a AeroCool cpu fan. I had to remove the P4 retention module, and I now have the fan installed. I installed everything else (cd-rom, hdd, disk drive), and I turn the power on, to find that nothing is happening. I have taken the mobo out of the case to make sure it isnt grounded, and none of the fans power up. The only indication of power I get is the green stand-by light located between the second and third pci slots, and the keyboard lights flash on, then off. Whenever I turn the power switch on, the same thing happens with the keyboard and the rest of the mobo.
I have a buddy who is also putting together his own build, and he said that it was strange to hear that not even the psu fan is starting up. The psu has two power receptables, that I can best describe as female and male. Dont know if this makes any difference. I dont know what to do, and I was wondering if this sounds even remotely familiar to anyone. Am I missing something with some of the jumper settings, or does it sound like a huge problem?

Thanks again in advance for any help, and I'm glad I found my way to this place.

Have you plugged in the seperate 12V lead (4-pin) to the motherboard? It's used to supply the processor power.

Masque said:
Have you plugged in the seperate 12V lead (4-pin) to the motherboard? It's used to supply the processor power.

Yes, I took it out and tried again to make sure I did it correctly, and still nothing happens. :(

Masque said:
Have you pulled the processor and examined for bent pins?

Yep, and not a bent one, though I did strain my eyes making absolutely sure. :haha:
Man, I'm lost...I know that probably 1000 different things could be wrong, but is there any reason the psu wouldnt go, even if other things arent working? :confused:

Okay....I'm going to go with an obvious question first....don't take it to heart. Near the rear plug for the psu, is it set on 220 or 115? Do you have another psu you could swap out. It's not unheard of to get one bad off the shelf though it is fairly rare.

The problem is PSU. If you are plugging your psu in North America or South America outlet, you should set it in 115V.

if you are plugging in outside of america, (e.g. Europe) you should set it in 220/230V.

Or

Try only plug in Motherboard, CPU, Ram and video card to see if it work, if it work, put each hardwares/components one time to find the problems. The common problems is floppy drive. it happen to me too! :)

Lucan

Edited: 2

Yeah, I took everything apart and put it all back together, and nothing again. I thought that the mobo could still be grounded somehow, but I dont think thats the case anymore. I will try a different psu and see what works.

Another thing you can try is to re-check your power switch connection to the motherboard. Remove it and take a flathead screwdriver to the pins its supposed to be on and see if it starts up.
I just built a system last night and was not able to get it to power up by hitting the power button on the case.

SNGX1275 said:
Another thing you can try is to re-check your power switch connection to the motherboard. Remove it and take a flathead screwdriver to the pins its supposed to be on and see if it starts up.
I just built a system last night and was not able to get it to power up by hitting the power button on the case.

Ill try that. Thanks! :)

Turns out my motherboard manual was incorrect in what 2 pins it needed to be on. It got one of the pins right, but it was off 90 degrees on the placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back