No Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Gonzales_3

Help!

I just had this problem with my PC. I fiddled with some power options, like turning off the harddrive after a certain amount of time, because I tend to fall asleep in front of the PC while watching a movie or playing games. Anyway, I tried to "wake up" the computer by moving the mouse as one usually does when the PC is on standby. It wasn't "waking up" like it does usually; I noticed the green power LED and the HDD LED were both lit up for longer than usual. I tried resetting it by pushing the reset button but that didn't work so I turned it off by switching off the power supply. I tried turning the PC on again but the monitor didn't turn on as expected. I noticed the green power LED wasn't lit, although the red HDD LED was. I tried several times to turn the PC on to no avail.

Can anyone help me with this? I have no idea what the problem is and would appreciate any help, even if it's just a nod in the right direction. Thanks.

This requires that someone goes through the PC and locates what may have died during that last time you had it on. It sure seems like something bit the dust. It is unusual for your hard drive activity light to be lit when your 'power on' light isn't on. For the hard drive activity light to be on, your power must be on. You said that sometimes you turned off the hard drive after a certain amount of time. How did you do that? I have never heard of that. It may have been better (in hindsight) to let the machine keep running (the hard drive was working to re boot anyway). When you try to turn it on now, can you hear the fans spinning? It sounds like you shut off the power when the computer was trying to get it together and now the operating system is in limbo. Need to know if the machine is starting (fans-etc.).

you can make windows turn your hard drive off after it's not accessed for a certain amount of time. i've set it with my slave hdd because i don't use it that much so after 40 mins of no activity it goes of.

i do agree with pdyckman@comcas, it sounds like something went wrong when the power went off. it's weird that your hdd light is on without the power light being on so i lean slightly towards the motherboard or ram being broken but we'll see ;)

Thanks for the replies, guys. I did look through the case and indeed the fans were spinning. There was also some harddrive activity; both the CPU and GPU fans were spinning. I just bought the RAM a few months ago but the motherboard is kind of old. Is there any chance the power/reset switches could have anything to do with it? The switches have been going awry on me the past few days; they might have contributed something.

Can I do anything to check which parts are broken?

Seems I'm going to have to replace both the motherboard and the CPU, since there's probably no point in getting an antiquated Socket A mo-bo...

if you think the switch might be affected you could find the pins on your motherboard where the power switch connects to and short them out with a screwdriver or something like that, then see if it turns on properly :)

Before investing in a new m/board, check the PSU. If you have a tester so much the better but either borrow a PSU or take the whole thing to a shop and ask them to test the PSU for you.

I'm going to try connecting the PC to another power supply; I think I have an extra one lying at home. I never thought the problem could have been caused by the power supply, since the CPU & GPU fans are all running. I always suspected it was the mobo that was causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back