TechSpot

No signal, four post beeps

By KingKings
Aug 3, 2009
  1. First off, the motherboard is a Tyan Thunder K7 S2462. Everytime I turn it on, POST beeps 4 short beeps. From what I know, it's a system timer failure, but then again it could be something else.

I just recently bought new RAM to try and resolve the problem, but it still gives me the same error. Could my mobo be dead?! Also, I bought a new CMOS battery and replaced the old one. My HDD and Optical drivers are fine.

At one time I had it working, and I reinstalled my OS and thought everything was OK. Later that day, I turn it on and again the four POST beeps.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Look for the beep codes post by Tedster on This forum

3. raybay

Will it run long enough for you to access Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager to see if there are any hardware issues listed there.
    Then by using the Techspot Beep Codes post, you can narrow it down.

4. KingKings

KingKings TS Rookie Topic Starter

Nope. I get no signal to monitor. Even if it did somehow access the HDD, there would be no way for me to see.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's a system timer failer, but I dunno where to go from here. I know that the RAM didn't come DOA because I tested it in a working rig. I tried each RAM slot, and still I get no signal/error.

5. raybay

To be a system timer issue, you would necessarily have a failed motherboard. Please tell us your thinking on this "system timer" issue. Do the beep codes for Tyan mesh with a motherboard failure?

6. KingKings

Well, it has a Phoenix BIOS and from what I've read, they don't even have a 1-1-1-1 code. But, this is what I'm getting and I can't get passed this. I am certain that it's four short beeps.

7. KingKings

Could it be that the RAM is not compatible? I'm using Kingston PC3200 DDR DIMM 1gb. I dunno if this mobo only supports PC1600/2100.

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.