No signal from both monitors after reboot

WONDERGG

I currently got my self-build PC. It's hardware is would I would categorize as rather up to date, however my main suspecion for this issue is the power supply.

Yesterday I was using my PC as it was working flawlessly, then shutting it down as I went to bed. Today I went to start up the computer, it gained power, fans started running and no beeps, but both my monitors is receiving any signal. So I guess the computer doesn't boot?

I tried cleaning up my PC, re-inserting cables, emptying my PC for power(remove power-cord and hold power-button for 1 minute), inserting my monitor cabels from my GFX card into the motherboard and removing and re-inserting my CMOS-battery.

As mentioned, if the issue is hardware related, I believe it might be the power-supply, as all other components seem to run flawlessly.

Kind regards

No beep? None at all? Usually a successful POST is marked with a slight chirp. Since you do have evidence of power (confirm ALL fans spin please), it is probably something other than power. If not, let's suppose POST has failed.

Please review http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm
I did an all around check searching for flaws - I have two fans that aren't working, my front panel fan, and my CPU fan, which I found odd. For troubleshooting, I tried removing the connection to the front fan, so it wouldn't be detected as an error (still no visual on the monitors), and for the CPU I actually assumed it wouldn't spin unless the motherboard detected heat enough for it to be necessary

Some boards won't boot if CPU fan doesn't spin - protection. Dig into the operation of the motherboard to see if this could be the case for you.

I don't believe thats the case from experience, and I also couldn't find documentation.

A few notes after messing around:
  • CDROM opens and closes without issues
  • Both my LED fans aren't running, one in the front and one in the top. They're connected to the same controller, which is located right next to my power button.
  • The CPU fan starts shortly when the PC is turned on, but speed fades swiftly until it's no longer spinning.
Here is my motherboard in case you'll find something relevant:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4959#sp

Glad to hear CPU fan does spin, even if only briefly. I think you should approach this as a bad mainboard. Will it boot if you remove everything except CPU and 1 stick of RAM and use internal GPU?

Running only with CPU and ram I managed to get visual on the screen "BIOS HAS BEEN RESET".

Also fixed the CPU fan by getting power from another spot on the moterboard (SYS-1 instead of CPU_OPT).

Update: I tried inserting everything with my VGA connected to my motherboard and not my GFX card, and I gad the same visual result, "BIOS HAS BEEN RESET". Now, changing the vgas position to my GFX, I get no visual.

However, after inspecting my GFX I do not think it's faulty. I'm using a new power supply I bought because of this, and as it does appear to have 2 PCI cables, only one of the cables actually fit into my GFX socket, leaving the other empty. This made my curiosity believe that the GFX has enough power to run fans, but not enough to actually function as GFX card.

Would appreciate comments to this train of though

Go back to "Update: I tried inserting everything with my VGA connected to my motherboard and not my GFX card, and I gad the same visual result, "BIOS HAS BEEN RESET"." Remove GFX card. Confirm system will start. Confirm clean start into Windows. Replace CPU fan in correct mainboard location - "CPU_OPT" is for watercooling. Make sure it all works before you get into GFX card. Confirm you have made ALL proper POWER connections on motherboard before doing anything more. When in doubt, READ the MANUAL. Confirm H/W Monitoring is correctly set.

Then get installation manual for GFX card from manufacturer's website. Follow directions. PSU should have a power connector marked PCI-E and it should have 6 pins and it should fit. This and the slot provides 150 watts. If your GFX requires more power than the PSU can provide, you will need a more powerful PSU.

So - I removed GFX card, and system started, then inserted the GFX card, where it still would turn on as long as I has my VGA in the motherboard.

Now however, as I started over, the PC suddenly won't even display when the motherboard and CPU only, which I find very odd, since it worked an hour ago.

Sorry, confused. I think you are saying that you were able to fully boot Windows on the inboard graphics. Is this so?

Introducing video card seems to be 'ok' but fails on re-boot? It is likely you have something left out along the way.

Remove the video card. Download manual from Gigabyte and confirm that all settings and connections are as described. Furthermore, confirm that the H/W Monitoring in BIOS is properly set. Confirm that you have a fully operating system before introducing variables. FOLLOW the MANUAL.

Now download and install current drivers for chipset, audio, etc and install them. FOLLOW the MANUAL.

Make sure you have a properly operating system without the GFX card. If this is so, then you may obtain the manual for your GFX card and install it in accord with instructions. Use only one monitor at first. Only add the other when you are certain you have a stable system. FOLLOW the MANUAL.

Do this step by step. No rushing. When something gets introduced that fails, it can be the component, what the component is attached to OR the driver. That is hard enough to resolve. FOLLOW the MANUAL.

Last edited:
Alright, where I'm at right now. I dismount everything, except for motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler and 1 stick of RAM(Also tried both which also works) and I get the BIOS HAS BEEN RESET screen. I then insert a SATA cable which is connected to my SSD as to being able to get into Windows. It then pops up "Reboot with optimal BIOS settings", I click Yes, it reboots at informas me I should insert a proper booting device (as it doesn't recognize my SSD). Is this a result of a flawed harddisk, or am I off course?

BIOS HAS BEEN RESET - explore BIOS settings and change to reflect your current system - page by page - item by item.

Save & reboot to make sure any changes you make really work.

Now add a component - like SSD - boot and enter BIOS - change BIOS to reflect the new system - confirm it boots all the way into a stable Windows. Your latest issue may be the result of how BIOS identifies organization of the storage on the SSD - AHCI vs IDE vs RAID - the manual for the SSD and the manual for the motherboard should tell you what you need to do.

If it doesn't - and you have a basic system error - then the component may be the issue (connection, something else in BIOS, etc).... OR you have an Operating System error - then the driver or the Operating System needs work.

Rule # 1 - FOLLOW the MANUAL(s).
Rule #2 - Follow Rule #1

So I've found the most awkward solution I've ever run into. I managed to get display through my VGA (not HDMI to my second screen for some reason, might be a driver, an issue for another time) - but I have to remove or insert a stick of RAM to boot, any of the two options work. If I just casually restart my PC, the motherboard will end in an cycle throughout the system messages 15-32 (basically initializing), but if I shut it down, remove or add a stick of ram, start the PC, it will boot. Of course this is an unacceptable method to use, but I really don't understand why and how this is happening.

Of course it is BIOS related and I believe I can fix it through there - thank you for your assistance :)

Back