No sound after installing XP on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowlin

I just installed XP on my computer. Was useing 98 but got talked into upgrading. Now I have no sound. I downloaded Directx9 that did not help. I downloaded drivers fron Creative, the card is a Soundblaster live value. When I run the driver download it says it cannot find a soundblaster card on my computer. In device manager it says the card is there and in audio in control pannel it is there working properly no conflicts. I tried useing original install CD but it gives me the same message cannot find a soundblaster card connected to you computer.
Would be thankful for any help to get sound back on.

SB Live! should work fine with the drivers that come with XP itself so the drivers shouldn't be an issue.

Was it a clean install or an upgrade? Do you have the drivers for your motherboard installed?

What does it say in device manager? Is there any hardware in there that has a "?" next to it?

To get into device manager, right select my computer and select properties, then manage, then device manager from left plane window.

It was an upgrade and everything shows it is working fine but no sound anywhere. There is no conflict in Devise manager. Maybe it is my speakers?

Speakers are the least thing to break. You could check whether they are properly plugged in the right places and the volume is not too low of course :p

If you upgraded from Win98 then you should uninstall all Creative software and drivers and install the new versions for XP from the Creative website.

When selecting the software at Creative, use your souncard's product ID instead of the name. You will find the ID printed on the soundcard itself. It is in the form CTxxxx where xxxx are 4 digits.

Also make sure XP is not executing some legacy stuff from autoexec.bat and config.sys. Better delete those files altogether.

can you explain the "legacy stuff from autoexec.bat and config.sys" are the files going to be easy to recognize like legacy*.* or am I looking for something else?

Thx.

If you upgrade from Windows 98 then XP keeps those files -called "autoexec.bat" and "config.sys" - and executes their content on system startup. Just search for those files and delete them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back