No sound / chaintech AV-710 7.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new here need some help if you guys don't mind. Well basically I don't have any sound (mic in port seems to work, people in games say they can hear me) I've disabled on-board sound about to try an uninstall then reinstall of the driver. Don't know if this matters at all but, the on-board sound stopped working a week or so ago which is why i got the card. do i need to uninstall Ac97 when i do a reinstall? do i need ac97 with the sound card sorry this is the first sound card I've ever bought so im at a loss = \

Got to your Control Panel, then System, and look at the Device Manager in Hardware. Do you have yellow or red flags? You can delete or disable the old drivers there. There are several for audio that all must be removed. Then you should have a disc with the new drivers so you can install them. If not, you will need to download them.
Did the sound stop for a reason? Had you changed anything, or was this a surprise?

nope no red or yellow flags i remove all audio? codecs and legacy audio drivers listed under audio? i have downloaded the latest drivers.
well the on-board sound just went out one night left windows media playing some music assumed the on-board must have died.

you shouldn't need to uninstall sp2, i have that same card you do and i used it for about two years using sp2 and had no problems (I got a X-fi Soundblaster Extreme Music for $45 brand new at office depot, found it at the bottom of a bargin bin). Did you happen to install the drivers off of the cd prior to installing the ones you got off of the internet?

Audio cards are pretty fragile. We replace more of them than anything except optical drives and video cards. From working with our clients, we find that most audio cards cannot take very much high volume or long term playing without burning out.
The better cards, $125 and higher, do not seem to be so susceptible to failure... Also, those connected to better quality speakers seem to be more durable. I suspect they can be linked to impedence, and quality of components.
The ones in the $25 range, last quite a while if not over driven, or played constantly for long periods.

Stick'o ram said:
Did you happen to install the drivers off of the cd prior to installing the ones you got off of the internet?
yep they didn't work at all so i downloaded the ones off the net they seemed to work but i had no sound . reupdated to sp2 seems to work fine now. i only tried a sp2 uninstall because i read on another forum it worked for someone else. = \

Yea, you DON'T want to use the ones off of the CD or off of chaintechs website, you want to use the ones provided off of viaarena. I think the current version is 520 or something, it was released shortly after vista came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back