No sound coming from my laptop

Sunaru

Just recently, my laptop suddenly became mute. This occurred while I was watching a video. My laptop put itself to hibernation or something, because it was running out of battery life. After I recontinued my session, I had no sound at all. I've tried several attempts to fix this, but to no avail. When I plug in my earphones and try to hear from them, they work perfectly fine, but when I unplug them, everything becomes mute.

If anyone can, please help.
I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 with Windows 7 64-bit.

P.S.
Attached to this post is a summary generated by CPUID PC-Wizard.

Attachments

• USER-PC - System Summary.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi Sunaru,

With your headphones unplugged, does your volume meter in the tray icon area (bottom right) indicate volume at a reasonable level? Sounds like the drivers are working OK, might be something simple hopefully.

Excuse my jumping in here Nobur, I just had a thought. Try going into your audio settings and check to see if the speaker settings are set correctly and not on headphone setting. Again, it's just a thought.

Hi Sunaru,

With your headphones unplugged, does your volume meter in the tray icon area (bottom right) indicate volume at a reasonable level? Sounds like the drivers are working OK, might be something simple hopefully.
Yes. In fact, the volume is at the highest level it can reach.

Excuse my jumping in here Nobur, I just had a thought. Try going into your audio settings and check to see if the speaker settings are set correctly and not on headphone setting. Again, it's just a thought.
What do you mean audio settings? Is it in the control panel? Do I have to right click the tray icon? Please clarify.

Yes. In fact, the volume is at the highest level it can reach.

What do you mean audio settings? Is it in the control panel? Do I have to right click the tray icon? Please clarify.

Ok that's good that the volume is OK.

What Wepynx means is yes, you have to right click on the Speaker icon and click "Playback devices"

Have a bit of a look around in there :)

1st hover over your sound icon intask bar click it and make sure all are open and tuened up ..after go to control panel then when it says systems and security . underneath it should say find and fix problems click there,, then where it says hardware and sound . click on it then on the 1st one playing audio then run the process

Ok that's good that the volume is OK.

What Wepynx means is yes, you have to right click on the Speaker icon and click "Playback devices"

Have a bit of a look around in there :)
I've done what you said, and "Speakers" is set to default. There's also another playback device that's called "Realtek Digital Output." Have any idea what that is?

1st hover over your sound icon intask bar click it and make sure all are open and tuened up ..after go to control panel then when it says systems and security . underneath it should say find and fix problems click there,, then where it says hardware and sound . click on it then on the 1st one playing audio then run the process
I think I know what you're saying. I have all of theme tuned up, and I tried the find and fix, but still no luck. :( Thanks for trying though.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]The 'Realtek Digital Output' selection is for when you use S/PDIF digital output, which can use the same output jack as your headphones:[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS] [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]You would need a set of S/PDIF digital speakers and a TOSLINK adaptor cable to be able to use this option.[/FONT]

Go to my computer system properties then device manager and just check all drivers are ok make sure no yellow exclamation marks in there... if not then I would say do a system restore back a few days to when it was working

Or go control panel system and security hardware and sound then sound and have a look if its set on speakers and look for anything odd

[FONT=Segoe UI][LEFT]Introduction
Step 1: Check hardware
Step 2: Use a troubleshooter
Step 3: Update drivers[/LEFT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI][RIGHT]
Step 1: Check hardware

Many sound problems are caused by hardware that isn't set up properly. This step covers checking your sound card, plugging cables into the correct locations, making sure the hardware has power, and checking the volume.
Top of page
1. Check your sound card

Check to make sure your computer has a sound card, or sound processor, and it's working properly.
  1. ‌Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_71.jpg
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.‌
    1f9463c2-c968-47bf-9b4d-939c5d1af477_9.jpg
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers to expand that category. If a sound card is listed, you have one installed. If no sound card is listed, check the information that came with your computer to see if there's supposed to be a sound card installed. If there should be a sound card installed, you'll need to install one according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Notes
    • If you think you have a sound card installed but you don't see it under the Sound, video and game controllerscategory, expand the Other devices category and check the devices listed there.
    • Laptops don't usually have sound cards. Instead, they have integrated sound processors, which appear in the same category in Device Manager.
If there's a yellow question mark next to the name of the sound card in Device Manager, there might be a problem.
  1. Right-click the name of the sound card, and then click Properties.
  2. Click the General tab, and then look in the Device status box to identify problems with the sound card.
    If there's a problem, you might need a new driver for your sound card. For more information, see Step 3: Update drivers.
Top of page
2. Check if the cables are connected properly

Show all
[LEFT][/LEFT]Speakers and headphones
[LEFT][/LEFT]HDMI cables
[LEFT][/LEFT]USB audio devices
[LEFT][/LEFT]Multiple audio devices
Top of page
3. Check power and volume

If you have speakers, make sure they're plugged into a working power source and turned on.
Make sure that your speaker volume or headphone volume isn't muted or turned down too low. This is particularly important for laptops, which often have small speakers that can be hard to hear.
  1. Open Volume Mixer by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_71.jpg
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then, under Sound, clicking Adjust system volume.
  2. Move the slider up to increase the volume.
    Make sure the Mute button isn't turned on. If the button looks like this:
    bc956393-768b-49ea-96c0-59e0e9100880_9.jpg
    , muting is turned off. If the button looks like this:
    d186b500-30b7-4799-a2e0-ebb43f9d2bd1_23.jpg
    , click it to turn off muting.

Note

• Some laptops have an external volume control on the outside of the case. If you're using a laptop, check the external volume control to make sure it's not turned all the way down.

In some cases you might have several volume controls to check. For example, if you're using Windows Media Player it has its own volume control, Windows has a volume control, and your external speakers have their own volume control. If any of these volume controls are set to their lowest setting, you won't hear any sound.
Top of page

[SIZE=24px] [/SIZE][SIZE=24px]

1. 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_71.jpg
  2. 1f9463c2-c968-47bf-9b4d-939c5d1af477_9.jpg

1. 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_71.jpg
    1f9463c2-c968-47bf-9b4d-939c5d1af477_9.jpg

[LEFT]Previous[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Next[/LEFT][/size][/RIGHT][SIZE=24px][/size]
[SIZE=24px][/size][/FONT][SIZE=24px][/size]

Great input terry!

If the drivers look OK in device manager and nothing stands out, does the laptop have any volume wheels that could be turned down? :)

Great input terry!

If the drivers look OK in device manager and nothing stands out, does the laptop have any volume wheels that could be turned down? :)
What do you mean by that?

Have u sorted problem
I think so. This morning, I turned on the laptop and the sound came back. I guess it just needed to restart or something.

Well, thanks for your help, guys! Have a nice day.

Same thing happening with me! And I have the same computer also, although I changed my OS from Windows 7 to Linux Ubuntu 12.04

No sound? Here's another easy method:

1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click System and Security
4. Click System
5. Click Device Manager (upper left)
6. Right click "Sound, Video and Game Controllers"
7. Then Click "Scan for hardware changes"

OR

1. Click Start
2. Right Click "Computer"
3. Click Manage
4. Click Device Manager (upper left)
5. Right Click --> *laptop name*-PC <--
(located at the upper part /of BATTERIES/)
6. Then Click "Scan for hardware changes"

Hope this helps (y)(y)(y)

Open Windows/START,
CONTROL PANEL,
OPEN SYSTEM & SECURITY,
DEVICE MANAGER,
SCROLL DOWN TO SOUND, VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS,
RIGHT CLICK ON YOUR SOUND mostly Realtek,(disable and enable is back, that should solve the issue)

It works for vista as well.

Back