No sound device located, No SVGA anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently wipe out the entire hard drive and OS on my Dell Inspiron 6400.
I was using XP media edition.
Had a friend install XP professional

Now i don't have sound except for error beeps; my video display is choppy when dragging windows around; no long have SVGA 64bit color, only 32bit VGA.

Sound.
I have tried everything to update drivers from everywhere. However the problem is that my computer doesn't recognize any sound device on the computer. How do i get it to recognize this?
in my Device manager, there is nothing that shows sound device. There are seven yellow exclamation marks beside the following:
-Other Devices (also has a yellow question mark before)
Base System
Base System
Base System
Ethernet Controller
PCI Device
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
However, the exclamation mark is on top of a yellow question mark too.

Is there that big of a difference between the XP Media, and the XP Pro?
How can i fix any of this?

thanks,

Several drivers are missing. When you download the drivers, before install, go to Device Manager and delete or disable the existing driver before installing the new one.

Then connect to Dell for a new scan, and let Dell decide if it can download helpful stuff.

I would pay particular attention to the Chipset... but install ALLl the drivers at the Dell support site for your Service Tag...

Then when you have done all you can, run Windows Update, as it will often find needed drivers.

Yes there is a big difference betweeen XP Media Center and XP Professional. Huge.
But on a Dell the drivers will only be different on a very few theing.s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back