TechSpot

No sound from Cmi8738's rear channel

By suboklang
Nov 20, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi, here's my problem:

the rear channels used to work but just lately it won't. and the only thing i have done between the time they were working until now is:

1) i've reinstalled WindowsXP (using the same WHQL .632 driver before this happened), and
    2) upgraded my video drivers to WHQL detonator 40.72.

i know this must have nothing to do with the video drivers but really that's all i have done before this happened! i've double-checked the volumes, used different headphones, have not installed anything 'cept the drivers (it's a fresh install of xp).

could this be a sudden hardware problem? any suggestions?

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Did you check the Sound Properties>Advanced Settings to make sure the correct configuration for the speaker configuration is selected?

3. suboklang

suboklang TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yep, tried Quad.. and Desktop Stereo... still the same, only the front has output.

4. forciano

forciano TS Rookie Posts: 28

when using windows update on xp you can find the .641 version
    maybe it can solve your problems

5. suboklang

Searched for the .641, doesn't seem to exist. Even on CMI's site, .632 is the latest

6. forciano

those drivers only appear in windows update, i remember there was a place where you could dowload it, ill search for it and post it.

7. forciano

8. suboklang

tried it. on 2 different pc's. still doesn't work. seems that this is a hardware problem. damn, i ain't gettin cheap cards no more.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.