No sound from my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help.I am running xp home on an e machine comp with a IM845gl motherboard.I am relitivly new to computing and tried to help a friend with a sound problem over the phone.I went into volume control and clicked a few check boxes and while doing this i got a loud(ish) click from my speekers.I then lost all sound.Have I blown my on board sound card?Would buying a new sound card cure this or what????? Or can I rescue my on board sound card???? As I have said,I am new to this so any help would be greatfull,keep it simple guys.Thanks.mickyl.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I went into volume control and clicked a few check boxes

It sounds to me like you may have muted your sound.

Go back into your volume control and make sure the mute boxes, underneath each volume slider aren`t checked.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Reply to Howard.

Thanks Howard,I tried that one and I had not muted anything.As I said,I got a click from the speaker when checking boxes,thats what makes me think I have blown my on board sound.Thanks anyway

Try uninstalling and reinstalling your sound drivers.

Also check in your device manager for any yellow exclamation or question marks next to your audio device.

Regards Howard :)

I have a similar problem

mickyl said:
Thanks Howard,I tried that one and I had not muted anything.As I said,I got a click from the speaker when checking boxes,thats what makes me think I have blown my on board sound.Thanks anyway

i have a similar roblem but it was after changing anything i had problems with the gfx card and ended up reformatting my pc the sound wrked be4 tht but after like now nothing if i try makeing a sound all i get is a drilling noise ive tryed getting a new soundcard other than the onboard 1 i have but made no change i updated all the drivers got a new gfx card thinking it might have been compeeting with the sound still nothing i just tryed updateing the motherboard bios thinking it may have been corrupter did nothing i have tryed everything i can think of but still no sound....my brother has the same cpu same hardware everything but he has no problems at all im really stumped i would normally reinstall xp or try reformatting my pc but i know haveing done that already it probly wont work

that will be my next option unless somebody is smarter than me and has any more ideas AND PLEASE DONT HOLD BACK IF YOU DO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back