No sound - please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have an IBM laptop X22 (Model 2660). My sound disappeared quite some time ago. I was running OS Win 2000. Recently I reinstalled XP (Home) over it and the sound is still not there.

I checked all the normal things concerning volume and can't find anything wrong. I went to the IBM website and installed the audio drivers for this model computer and that did nothing. I also went to start, run, and typed in msc.services (I think that was it) and checked to make sure that the audio devices are running etc. Everything looked fine.

I'm not sure what to do. A long time ago I remember this happening and someone from a message board had helped me - he had told me that it is a common thing to lose (arbitrarily) the .dll file for the volume and that I had to reinstall it (I know this is a somewhat distorted memory of the event but it was something like that)...I remember he had e-mailed me a file with some instructions (and the file .dll is what I recall) and that had solved my problem. I wonder if this is the same thing. (This problem had happened on a different computer.)

I am completely UN-tech savvy so please if you reply, reply as though you are speaking to a 6 year old. I need explicit instructions as these things are kind of daunting to me and I am a bit clueless when it comes to computer stuff.

Thanks very much in advance.

Mari

HI all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with my sound issue. I thought perhaps I should reinstall my entire OS (Windows XP). Would this be a good idea?

Thanks very much.
Mari

Hi Mari,

You said you just installed Windows XP recently. Did you reformat before installing it? If you can save all of your important files, I would suggest you to reformat first, because reinstalling only windows didn't fix many problems.

However, this may be something you want to check: right click on My Computer, click Manage ----> Device Manager ----> Sound, video and game controllers ----> see if any of them has a yellow triangle. You said you installed the audio driver, but I just want to make sure one more time.

D.

PS: And it will be great if you can tell me what happened before the sound disappeared. Did you drop your laptop? Did you install any weird software? Something like that.

Hi there D,

Thanks so much for the response. No yellow triangles - I checked already.

My friend had been helping me with stuff, so we did the install together. Windows 2000 was not taken off (it is on another login that is still possible to click on upon startup). He too suggested that we take all that stuff out and reformat and resinstall. I was just hoping that there was an easier, less painless solution.

He has put various software on my laptop now and again (like FoxIt or NOD) but generally he's pretty good at this stuff, so I don't think anything he did made it worse. I DIDN'T have sound prior to this either - the sound died a while ago, when I was still using Win 2000.

Any thoughts you might have on this are appreciated. I guess we'll have to reinstall.

Thanks!
Mari

I'm having the same problem with no sound and I had it before. I don't know what to do? I have Intel pentium 4 does that make a differance?I really don't understand alot of computor talk, and I want to screammmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back