TechSpot

No sound when I play a dvd.

By rosebird
Jan 7, 2006
  1. Well, I bought a dvd legally which I can play normally (with sound) on my dvd player linked to the television.

However, when I try to play it on the computer, it plays as it should but without sound. This specific dvd is the only dvd in which it plays no sound. I have unmuted all sound types on my computer but still to no avail. Help please.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Because this is the only dvd that you`re haveing a problem with. It has to be specific to this dvd.

Go into the dvd`s sound menu, and see what options are available.

If the dvd has dts surround sound, try selecting dolby digital, or stereo, if available.

DTS sound won`t play unless you have a dts decoder on your sound card, and a digital connection, either optical, or coaxial.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. Vaerilis

Vaerilis TS Rookie Posts: 54

It's also possible that that specific DVD has DTS audio (either by default or it's DTS-only) and the player software you're using doesn't have DTS support, even though your audio card supports it.
    It has happened to me before: I put in the disc and heard only static, then I played the disc using a proper player (IIRC, WinDVD) and it played just fine.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 621

Wash, rinse repeat for Dolby Digital if you don't have digital out.

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Lol Tarkus.

Dolby digital can be played through an analogue connection, unlike DTS.

It can be downmixed to ordinary stereo as well. Unfortunately DTS can`t.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.