No sound when making VCD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyZip

Hi...

I downloaded some Music Videos which i'd like to put onto VCD's.

I've tried using Nero and TMPGEnc, followed the instructions, converted them to VCD standard, but most of the Video's end up with either no sound or black & white (and slightly fuzzy)...

I'm scratching my head here:confused: ...

If anyone can throw me any ideas i'd be grateful.

I've also had a look at www.vcdhelp.com (which is a brilliant site) but i still can't fathom it out...

Are you watching VCDs with an external VCD player plugged into a TV? If you are, some clips might be b&w because they're in NTSC format.
What are the original clips? DivX? MPEG-1?

Thanks for the replies...

I'm trying to make VCD's to run on a Sony DAVS500 DVD player, which is PAL only. I also think the telly is PAL only too.

All the original clips are mpeg, and i clicked the PAL button on, also kept the "standard compliant CD" thing switched on.

For example, when i drag them over (in NERO) to the left hand side to add to the compilation, it says the following problems were found:-
- stream encoding is invalid for a (S)VCD
- invlaid video stream 29.97 frames/second , 384x288 pixels

It then asks me if i want to re-encode the video, i press YES and it carries on, but with this example, the end result is no sound.

On others the sound is fine, but its black & white and slightly fuzzy...

I've got a hunch it might be due to being NTSC rather than PAL (but i thought NERO would of fixed that)??? OR could be something to do with my codecs i've got installed???

Or any other idea???
Or any other easy program that converts movie files (properly)...

Cheers...

Originally posted by RustyZip
when i drag them over (in NERO) to the left hand side to add to the compilation, it says the following problems were found:-
- stream encoding is invalid for a (S)VCD
- invlaid video stream 29.97 frames/second , 384x288 pixels
Yeah, it's invalid, as standard NTSC VideoCD should be 352x240, 29.97 fps and PAL is 352x288, 25 fps. Audio should be MPEG Layer II (MP2), 224 kbps. Maybe you could use a demultiplexor to separate audio from the files first, re-encode video and then join the files.
I've got a hunch it might be due to being NTSC rather than PAL (but i thought NERO would of fixed that)???
Maybe the latest Nero could fix it?

Thanks Mictlantecuhtli (how'd you pronounce that???) for your reply.
Can't you have an easier name?? What about BOB??? :D :p
Only j/k...

Does that mean Nero can only re-encode proper NTSC or PAL movies?? It doesn't say so.

Oh, and i have got the latest Nero...
I've more or less given up on the damn thing. Oh well...:mad:

Would the codecs i have installed make any difference. When i installed another Program VirtualDUB i think, it gave me a warning saying my codecs were not authorised or the proper ones or something along those lines.

Cheers...

Originally posted by RustyZip
Thanks Mictlantecuhtli (how'd you pronounce that???) for your reply.
How do you pronounce 'Mictlantecuhtli' :D
;)
Can't you have an easier name?? What about BOB??? :D :p
Only j/k...
No, I can't, but some people here use abbrevations, I don't mind if you do too.
Does that mean Nero can only re-encode proper NTSC or PAL movies?? It doesn't say so.
Looks like it.
Would the codecs i have installed make any difference.
Probably not, because MPEG-1 isn't like AVI, according to MPEG standards there's only one way of producing valid bitstreams (ISO/IEC 11172). So I'd say it's an application problem, not codec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back