No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostviking

I had the infamous blue screen error but reinstalled xp and was good to go. Months later same thing but couldn't reinstall so I got a new hard drive. Upon startup I had no sound. I've attempted to reinstall drivers and even went to creative to download newer version of soundblaster but to no avail. I tried playing a game and during scenes of large explosion the speakers would crackle but no sound. I've checked mute and volume. This is the last issue before pc is up and running. Any ideas? Also, I have no windows sounds.

Can we have your system specs, especially the make and model number of your motherboard if possible

I've attempted to reinstall drivers and even went to creative to download newer version of soundblaster but to no avail.
Have you checked that all the drivers are both installed and running with status=Working Properly?
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Also see Connecting Audio & Sound Devices to your Desktop Computer

Hey LookinAround,
the link to "Connecting Audio & Sound Devices to your Desktop Computer" is broken

Hmmm.. That's odd.. Don't know why (maybe someone else can explain it?) but
  • Note that i've pulled up this site link and doc many times before so no need anyone think / worry it's a link to "who-know's-what-or-where"
  • If you copy/paste
    Code:
    [B]http://jdvoicemail.altervista.org/imagenes/audioguide.pdf[/B]
    directly into your browser it should work. I don't know why it is failing as a TechSpot hyperlink. (It's worked in other posts in other threads i posted in the past)

Out of desperation I unplugged the cable to the sound card and was going to plug it back in when I heard sound coming from the speakers. I have no idea how unplugging the sound card made it work but it did. I kept getting windows error messages that certain files couldn't be found, etc. so I said "screw it" and bought Vista. After the Vista install I learned that my sound card isn't compatible with Vist and have one ordered so I'm back to no sound. Wierd thing is when I had no sound I could play Call of Duty-World At Warm but once I unplugged the card the game wouldn't launch. I'm posting a hard drive question in that arena right now.

Well, glad you solved it in any case. And for anyone reading. Here's another excellent tutorial (with lots of pictures) for those with less experience or just what to read through a great guide about Sound Playback and Recording (including info on sounds cards and connections)

Sound Recording and Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back