No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illathen

hey, the other day my mates computer buggerd up and now he has no sound at all, he says all he did was play arround with the speaker jacks at the back,
so far i have gone through all his soundcard setting and system settings but nothing seems to be a problem, i have also tried resetting his CMOS but nothing seems to work.
any advice would be helpful.
thx

maybe he buggered the jacks when he was playing around....,

If its an onboard one disable it and add a new PCI card one.

Regards

thx

thats what told him or that he may have jacked up his sound card but a second oppinion is always helpful, thanks alot :)

check the drivers. check to see if the settings are digital/ or analog for the right kind of speakers.

yep i did try other speakers and another set of headphone and earplugs, none worked except the speakers extyreamly slightly if you turned them up full and put it next to your ear you can just make out some very distorted music when playing media player.

Illathen said:
yep i did try other speakers and another set of headphone and earplugs, none worked except the speakers extyreamly slightly if you turned them up full and put it next to your ear you can just make out some very distorted music when playing media player.

I think I know what this is then. There's more than one way to increase the gain (volume) on an audio card. One is the manual adjustment right on the speakers (which is really the gain for the speakers.) Then there's the Windows audio settings. But there is also a gain for the software application and for the device driver. You need to find each one and ensure they are properly set.

well i definatly checked the windows audio settings and the sound card settings which is noramly accessable through through the programe bar by the clock however im not sure about the device settings.
can you useualy acess this through the control pannel?

Yes, Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Sound Devices -> Audio card -> Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back