No video after fan install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a P4 prescott based cpu.Recently it started to overheat so I replaced the fan, now once i fasten the fan down I get NO video, everything runs I can even hear the HD kick on but no video....If I undo any of the fasteners on the fan I get video upon reboot, I am curious at this point if I should by another fan or what?? I wonder if maybe the heatsink compund that was pre-applied fould be getting on the chip in an area maybe it should not?

Thanks,
Stacey

Try another fan assembly. The thermal grease if pre-applied should not be the problem. It belongs all over the 'up side' of the CPU. It seems that if the CPU is being pressed too hard, it won't work.

When you are pushing down to secure the fan are you bending the motherboard and slightly unseating the video card? I've had that happen to me before so its worth looking into.

sbrown200047501,
make sure that the motherboard standoffs and the CPU support frame is in the proper position underneath the CPU and surrounding areas. If you have disturbed or rubbed off any thermal compound, clean off the entire surface and apply new thermal compound before you reassemble the CPU HSF (Heat-Sink Fan)

warping the heatsink when using the screw ,maybe

screw to long and bottom out against the heatsink
try short screws or plastic spacers
is the screw hitting a wire and causing a ground fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back