No video signal during boot sequence

I have a PC running Windows 7 (64 bit) on an ASUS p5e3 delux mobo. My video card was a nice NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (ASUS) which died a week ago and had to be replaced. I decided to go for an ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (after some rather vague technical advice) . Please note that the mobo has a pci-e 2.0 slot and the card runs on pci-e 3.0. The advice I received was that the card will run but on pci-e 2 speed, which was OK.

I installed the card and booted the PC. My monitor came up with a "NO SIGNAL" indication. After a considerable amount of time the monitor turned on and Windows 7 booted normally, with one exception: the dvd drive had suddenly become "invisible". Note that the driver for this drive is loaded during the boot sequence. Other indications, like num lock on (which I had set to off), showed that something was changed in the boot sequence.From then on, I boot and teh same happens. Windows runs nicely on the new video card, everything is great, but no boot sequence and no dvd drive.

Unfortunately, I cannot see the boot sequence to try and fix this, I cannot use the dvd drive to load anything, I cannot see my way out of this!

Please help, I have no idea how to fix this.

The video card may not be recognized/accessed until the computer boots up fully. Do you know if you have an Onboard video port on the motherboard?? If so, try connecting to that and booting the computer to see if it shows anything on first boot and then goes away as soon as it goes to boot windows..

Could check the BIOS settings for anything to do with how video is treated, if it is set to try and use both Onboard or an extra video card, try switching it to only an extra card. However, if the card dies and you're forced to use onboard you will have to reset the BIOS before you can use it again.

If you're using HDMI, try swapping to DVI. My HDMI port doesn't display until the login screen is shown.

The video card may not be recognized/accessed until the computer boots up fully. Do you know if you have an Onboard video port on the motherboard?? If so, try connecting to that and booting the computer to see if it shows anything on first boot and then goes away as soon as it goes to boot windows..

Could check the BIOS settings for anything to do with how video is treated, if it is set to try and use both Onboard or an extra video card, try switching it to only an extra card. However, if the card dies and you're forced to use onboard you will have to reset the BIOS before you can use it again.

Thank you, but as far as I can see the P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP@n motherboard does not have an onboard video port. That is the part of the problem, I cannot see the BIOS settings and I suspect they somehow "magically" changed to accommodate the new card but lost all the other stuff.

If you're using HDMI, try swapping to DVI. My HDMI port doesn't display until the login screen is shown.

Thank you, but no, I am using the DVI port.

Thank you, but as far as I can see the P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP@n motherboard does not have an onboard video port. That is the part of the problem, I cannot see the BIOS settings and I suspect they somehow "magically" changed to accommodate the new card but lost all the other stuff.

Thank you, but no, I am using the DVI port.

Hm, that is very strange, do you know what key to strike to get into your BIOS settings? Del? Have you tried just hitting it and seeing if it comes up. Sometimes it takes a bit longer for the card to display when first being powered on, could just be delayed?

Not 100% true, I am using HDMI on my computer right now running an nVidia 560TI through HDMI to my monitor and I see the BIOS splash, can get into the BIOS, see the Windows Logo, then my desktop. I see the full boot time. Even running off an SSD I still see it for a second or two.

Hm, that is very strange, do you know what key to strike to get into your BIOS settings? Del? Have you tried just hitting it and seeing if it comes up. Sometimes it takes a bit longer for the card to display when first being powered on, could just be delayed?

Not 100% true, I am using HDMI on my computer right now running an nVidia 560TI through HDMI to my monitor and I see the BIOS splash, can get into the BIOS, see the Windows Logo, then my desktop. I see the full boot time. Even running off an SSD I still see it for a second or two.

I agree, it is very strange. The problem is that the monitor is off, because it gets no video signal until Windows boots. So even if I did get into the BIOS I would not be able to see it (in fact I am worried I could cause more damage this way). I do not even see the mobo boot splash screen, which I did before.

That's why I was wondering if you went into the BIOS and just let it sit it may come up if it's delayed in noticing the video output.

Couple things, are you running a Dual Monitor setup ? or single monitor?

Also, Does your monitor have Multiple DVI Inputs? If so, try to make sure that your DVI cable connects to the First DVI port (may be marked as 1, or if you have a second just switch to it) and see if it comes up while booting. This would be because the BIOS looks at the First port only, but when windows boots it notices there is no single and automatically checks for an alternative, would find the second, and load it.

For some reason, I encounter the exact problem before.

Was booted into Windows 7 without BIOS screen and Win7 loading screen.

Go check whether does your CMOS battery came loose, mine came loose and insert it back and it was fixed.

Thanks! You solved my problem. I moved the DVI cable from Port 1 to Port 0 and the normal POST screen with boot menu was displayed!

Back