Nokia announces the Lumia 625, a budget 4.7" Windows Phone

By Scorpus
Jul 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Nokia has announced a brand new entrant in their Lumia Windows Phone line-up, the Nokia Lumia 625. The handset not only comes with the largest display seen on a Lumia device so far, but it's also the cheapest in the...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,697   +873

Wow that screen is just bad. But what do you expect from a budget phone. The problem with Nokia is that they like carrier specific-deals. That means a smaller range of phones.
  3. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

I don't think it's too surprising. Nokia wanted to release a device with a larger screen, but the high resolutions that you'll find on Android aren't supported on WP yet. The only way they could release a bigger phone was to have it target the low-budget market, otherwise they'd release a high-end phone with a "mediocre" resolution.
    mosu likes this.
  4. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 623   +56

I don't understand this. If Nokia wanted to release a 1080p phone, they can. They work very closely with microsoft. Their phones had NFC when people thought NFC wasn't supported. Officially it wasn't but Microsoft added it in for them and then released it for everyone. Their motivations is to have phones from top to bottom. From prepaid phones in rite aid, to high end phones. Nokia is always adding things that the other manufacturers can't or don't do. The reasoning is much more simple. Businesses want market share and they want volume. That's how they get their money, the budget sector. High end phones make headlines and we love to talk about them, but they aren't what makes or breaks a company. You acn see the same thing with Nokia and AMD, the mainstream sector is something to go after.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,806   +702

I prefer the mid ranges phone to range toppers. Far better value for money. High end phones are nothing special really and they are way overpriced.
    In the days before smartphones I always used Nokia cellphones. I just wish they produced Android phones nowadays.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Oh I don't know. I quite like it. Pity it's not Android but the screen is fine for me. I'm really not overly impressed by these king sized screens on phones.
  7. JC713

Yeah, I like 4 inch screens.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

I find it's the sweet spot between usability & portability.
    JC713 likes this.
  9. JC713

Yeah, definitely.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.