TechSpot

Nokia CEO: "our platform is burning"

By Emil
Feb 9, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop sent out an intense memo to his troops today, as first reported by Engadget. He reiterated multiple times that the company is standing on a burning platform and that, as a result, a radical change in behavior must occur.

Read the whole story

2. The only thing I want to say is that we should all have a CEO that dares to say "We were wrong but let's try it again all together"

3. hassaan

hassaan TS Rookie Posts: 90

Nokia ruled the world for quite some time... years ago. I can't count how many different handsets I had from them and I loved each and every one. Fast forward to today and I can't remember the last time I thought of them. Their focus and commitment to Symbian, imho, was their biggest mistake...

4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Wow, at first I thought TLDR but changed my mind...
    This CEO atleast fully gets where Nokia is headed, I hope he can turn the ship around!
    I'm still on a Nokia N82 and yet have not decided what I eventually want to upgrade to?

5. some bad news for Nokia.

6. after read this letter, the question is: Who wants a nokia?

7. Lighter than water. He could not have it said.

8. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

I read the entire email yesterday and I must say I really respect this guy. Has the balls to tell everyone in his company how it REALLY is. I mean they ALL must have known how it was but apparently no one had the balls to speak up or no one cared. Not sure which.

9. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

He seems to have grasped the problem, lets hope he can cure the ills with some smart decisions.

Now Per, whatever you may eventually buy, just stay away from Galaxy S !!!

Frankly I feel as if I made the wrong choice when I bought Galaxy S instead of Apple's brick (at least it seems more reliable despite being a hideous looking thing).

10. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Good job. You finally realized what the cell phone consumers have been stating since 2009.

11. ODEN

ODEN TS Rookie

nokia had great hardware but worst software
    I thing they should use android

12. dms96960

dms96960 TS Enthusiast Posts: 226   +20

+!

I'd hire this exec any day.

13. If Nokia goes WP7 or android , bye bye Nokia.

Symbian is the most secure and battery friend.

Android and WP7 software have lots of holes and are battery hungry, they are for kids to play.

Nokia for professioal workers.

14. No matter how good of hardware Nokia produces. And I think they produce some of the best mobile phones out there, but I will not by a single phone unless it is using Android.

15. JudaZ

JudaZ TS Enthusiast Posts: 294

Stil lsay its a hoax ...

none of the numbers add up, and the statments in the "memo" is untrue

America beeing the leading mobile market??
    Everyone knows that its not. Its Japan, then rest of Asia, then Western Europe, then America and Middle east, then Eastern europe.

If this memo is true, Stephen has no clue about the company that he is suppose to be running, and totally missed that Apple is not a threat, Samsung is The biggest threat, and not because of Android alone.

Nokia is still ahead of the competition, and is not trying to catch up to anything.
    Its everyone else catching up to Nokia, and that is a problem, but no one have reached that target yet, and sertanly not passed either

If this is really what Stephen Elop thinks, the boards needs to get rid of this unenducated psycopath fast.

16. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Thats all great but until they come up with a firm plan and action upon them, these words are nice and comforting but mean little until something actually happens

17. This was a brave statement by a CEO. Admitting that there is a problem. I owned Nokia 3650, 6680, N82, E72 and now an apple iphone 4.

Here in South East Asia, Nokia have been at the top during the last decade. Now, Samsung, LG and Apple are invading their markets here like a mushrooms in a rainy day. Before, If you have a Symbian Nokia Cellphone, you are seen as "cellphone god". I remember Nokia smartphone costs around $500 here, still many low income people would buy it just to have a nokia. If you want a cellphone with TV, radio, touchscreen, etc, many are sold here called China clones for around $50 and less.

Now, people here have grown wiser. Only Nokia loyalist would buy it just for the name. Why buy a $500 nokia smartphone when Samsung, LG and Apple have better overall device experience to offer at a same price. Symbian wasnt the best when your using it as an organizer. Syncing is a headache. Blackberry was the best but isnt popular here. Now, everyone wants an iphone here. Apple;s app store is the best i think better than android market. Ask people here, Samsung Galaxy and Apple Iphones are the best phones they want to have.

Im glad the CEO seen iphones as hi-end. yeah they costs more but truly the experience is what youre paying for.

As for android, Im still waiting for a tegra 2 android until i buy it. I LOLed when he said that android are mid-end and mainstream.

nevertheless, I will not buy a hi-end nokia phone again. Im sorry Nokia. RIP Nokia.

18. You will see when the professional workers do not have jobs.

19. leondobr

leondobr TS Rookie

Hardware companies that ride a wave get upended when the next one comes along unexpectedly and they don't catch the new one. This has happened so many times in the computer industry. Anyone remember Digital Equipment, or Wang, or Prime? All minicomputer makers that became bloated and complacent and were crushed by PCs.

Nokia is going to have to change its corporate culture, its bloated staffing levels, and redefine the business it's in, or else it will become yet another has been. Only IBM, Apple, and maybe HP have been able to pull off this trick with notable success. And the jury's still out on HP.

20. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

2 years later maybe nokia would have made a comeback and some other ceo might be writing a similar letter they can bounce back if they really want to.

21. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +18

Solid memo and I like the way he doesn't hold back.

22. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

I would say jury is also out on Apple, as its 'closed' ecosystem has its advantages, but can it survive for foreseeable future considering how quickly Android has been eating into its mobile business?

23. Jibberish18

If you're talking about SmartPhones, you're wrong.

24. Jibberish18

BTW I love how people come in and vehemently defend Symbian.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.