TechSpot

Noob question...installing a cooling fan...

By gloryfades
Jan 31, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Im new here so sorry if this is a stupid question. My cpu cooling fan is making a ton of noise...enough to wake me up at night. So I bought a new one. Its a Pentium 4 and I got a 478 socket fan. Is that the right kind to get? Also, should I install this myself? I've installed a new power supply and various PCI cards on my own...but this seems a little harder and riskier.....thanks for your help.
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

cpu cooler

Your cooler may or may not be right. Pentium 4's have been made in sockets 423, 478, and 775. So if yours is socket 478, then it should work. It shouldn't be too hard to install. Make sure you use thermal paste or a thermal pad between processor and heatsink. It depends on your motherboard design and your cooler's design as to how hard it will be to install. Some combinations are very simple, while others are a little trickier.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.