norton firewall

By sabu
Jan 17, 2006
  1. Hi guys, this is probably the wrong place but it is the closest thing I found. I am downloading norton personal firewall and cannot get it to installl. The yellow install screen apperas and the blue line goes across the botton but the next screen never comes up. I had a trial verson installed for a day and could not get it to activate byond the trial period so I removed it to install another copy. So far I have not been able to get another copy to install. In remove programs in controll panel the icon is still there with no data but I cannot delete it. This has been kicking my *** since saturday and today is tuesday. If anyone can help it will be greatly appriciated. Thanks
  2. Rhianntp

Rhianntp TS Rookie

best advice is to not use norton firewall... go to and get a much better product for free :)
  3. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I`ll echo those sentiments. Stay away from any Symantec/Norton security crapware.

Your computer will thank you for it. ;)

Regards Howard :)
  5. sabu

sabu TS Rookie Topic Starter

Guys, telling me to use another program is like tellling someone with a broken down geo to get rid of it and buy a Lincon. Or vice versa. It doesn not solve my imediate problem. I solved the problem on my own.
  6. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 TS Rookie Posts: 356

You might want to be careful with zonealarm also. It has been found recently that they have been spying on people. I don't use any software firewalls hurt the performance of your machine most of the time.
  7. howard_hopkinso

We were just pointing out that there are better alternatives to Norton.

If you insist on using Norton, then don`t be surprised if things go wrong.

There really are far better firewalls out there for free.

Obviously it`s up to you, but these forums are full of problems caused by norton/Symanetc software.

8. howard_hopkinso

Can you give me any info to substantiate that?

I would be very interested.

9. Jimbo420

Not a problem. These are links that I found on another forum that I post at. Most of the time I am not very quick to believe things like this but there are three differnet links saying the same thing. Plus supposedly the company as admitted to is and is working on a patch.
  10. howard_hopkinso

Very interesting indeed.

I use the free zonalarm, and can`t say that I`ve noticed any unusual activity.

Maybe it`s just the paid for version.

I am however, dismayed that this is being done by a company who thousands upon thousands of people trust.

I would urge any zonealarm customers to e-mail the company and complain.

Thanks for the info Jimbo420.

11. Jimbo420

Not a problem. Also I would do that quick fix if just incase that they talked about in the article from The Inquirer. There is a couple of entries you can place there to stop the software from contacting the spying servers.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.