Norton internet security

Status
Not open for further replies.
im going to go weep in a corner.

waittt............

does avira have the protection like norton like it stops the virus before it even gets in my system

No AntiVirus can do that

The Virus comes in, then the Antivirus removes it (or Quarantines it)

Avira free Antivirus does not have a firewall like Norton Internet Security does
So if you need a firewall I recommend free Comodo

Note: with free Comodo you can:
  • Install the AntiVirus as a standalone
  • Install the Firewall as a standalone (You want this one ;))
  • Install both Firewall and AntiVirus

does avira have the protection like norton like it stops the virus before it even gets in my system
Kimsland has it right, but I'll put it into my words:

A/V products are reactive; they try to fix things after the infection is already present.
This is like going to the Doctor's office once you have symptoms.

A Router+Firewall are proactive: they attempt to keep the germs off the system --
like washing your hands.

Just in case you've not heard:
You should only run ONE A/V and ONE FIREWALL automatically.
There's no harm in having more installed and some times you need more than
one A/V to scan and fix all this stuff (there's no silver bullet) -- just do so manually.

most everyone will say YES for various reasons.

the two that matter most are
  1. it's BIG, invasive and takes lots of resources
  2. the A/V system is marginal; ie others are more effective and better kept up to date on the pattern files

I use Avira and it seems good as far not slowing your system down too much. It is also one of the only AV programs that has actually blocked a trojan from downloading off of a web page. Most of the time this will happen without the user realizing it. I know that for example the vundo trojan will download from a web page. The only issue I have with Avira (and it is tolerable) is the nag screen every now and then advertising their product. It is a small price to pay for not having subscription fees. What I have found is very effective at blocking malware from web sites is using SandBoxie (http://www.sandboxie.com/). It is free and I've recently just started to use and it seems good so far.

but its alright if you have a pretty good system right?

i find it convinient because it has a firewall and it stops spyware, malware, etc.

all in one, and it has a live update.

Ignore him, I have the latest Norton Internet Security, and it is AMAZING. Have you used the latest one Kimsland? its much less resource hungry. I used the 2006 one a while ago, and it sucked, so I went straight to Avast, my prefered (and best :)) free anitvirus. NIS 2009 is so much better though, it is unbelievable.

Hmm you contradicted yourself I think twice in a very small passage of writing.

Yes some prefer Avast. Some prefer Avira (ie me:))
From what I have seen on the newest Norton, nothing much has changed, thankfully many (most) agree with me :p

But as I've stated, it's User Choice. Each to their own, as it were.

Im glad i have somebody rooting for norton LOL.

naaa, when it expires i think i will use avira but in the meanwhile norton it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back