Not recognising blank DVD-Rs (Sonic Record DX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am having a problem with my DVD Burner. I want to copy a DVD from one drive (D:\) and burn it on to a blank DVD-R which I put in my DVD-RW Drive (E:\).

I have been using Sonic Record DX to try and do this. This is the original DVD burner software that came pre-loaded on to my computer.

I have had the computer for just over three weeks and to begin with everything was fine I could copy DVDs without any problems but now Sonic Record DX will not let me copy DVDs.

When it tells me to insert a Blank DVD-R in the DVD-RW drive I do this but then I get a message saying "Please insert Blank DVD". I've tried several brand new DVD-Rs which I have just taken out of the wrapping so I know there is nothing on them but yet the software still tells me to insert a Blank DVD.

It doesn't seem to be recognising blank DVD-Rs in the E:\ drive.

The E:\ drive plays CDs, DVDs etc fine.

I've gone to My Computer and checked the status of the DVD-RW drive (E:\) and it says everything is fine. I insert a blank DVD-R in the E:\ and the icon on My Computer changes to a DVD-R symbol which shows that the computer has recognised the blank DVD-R. I've checked the properties aspect of the blank DVD-R and it says Free Space - 0 bytes and Used Space 0 bytes. I don't know whether this means that isn't recognising the disc or that it's just blank.

Do you think I need some kind of patch or bug fix to enable me to record to blank DVDs again?

Please help!!

Thanks

Amanda

It sounds like the burning software is having problems, try reinstalling it again (if you have the disc) just to make sure it's not the drive, try burning the disc using drag and drop i assume you have XP as your OS, if this works then you know for sure that it's the software not the drive.

Windows Explorer doesn't show free space on blank CDs / DVDs correctly. I'm not sure if XP's integrated burning supports DVD-R, but I know it works with CDs and DVD-RAM discs.

Which DVD burner do you have?

Maybe you should also check for Sonic Record updates.

Hi

Thanks for replying. Still having problems though.

I have the following DVD Burner - LITE-ON DVRW SOHW-812S.

No updates for Sonic Record available. Just looking for my CD disk for the burner now - although I don't know if I'll have one as the DVD burner was already in the computer when I bought it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back