NSA won't reveal how many Americans have been spied on

By Shawn Knight
Jun 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Last month a pair of US Senators inquired as to how many people within the country had been spied upon by the National Security Agency in the wake of updates to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) in 2008. Getting…

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,049   +699

They should have asked the question differently. How many people were spied is probably a tough question to answer. They should have asked how many phone calls or how many emails. Why would the NSA keep track of the number of people who are spied on? I'm sure they don't care at all how many... they only care if they get the right ones.

Good to know though that they're listning... next time I talk to my associates in no-where-I-stan I'll be sure to watch what I say. :)
  3. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 212   +26

As I see it, the requested data would not violate the privacy of US citizens. It sounds like the senators were asking for a number. Giving a number without specifically identifying who was spied on in no way violates the privacy of Americans.

More BS from a spy agency, and I really, really hope that these congressional members do not settle for that answer.
  4. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Everybody has been spied on... the only way for them to tell who is bad and who is good, is to spy on everybody...
    :)
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Anyone who owns technology is being spied on.
  6. killeriii

killeriii TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

I would think most past inquiries that led to nothing have been sealed or destroyed.
    I do think it would be a violation to look back or keep track of those inquiries if there is no just cause.
    I'm also thinking this would be like asking how many people have been arrested in the US. Impossible to put a number to.
  7. - Person of Interest
  8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,049   +699

True... and the irony is, as spooky as that sounds, the whole show is about the people who are helped because they were spied on.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.