NTLDR is missing; had problem corrected;now back again; help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickalene

long story short, weeks ago got ntldr missing, ctrl/alt/del to start. No discs in drive. Did not have xp discs to boot from because came preinstalled on computer. I was able to get xp back up through my old computers xp upgrade disc. Bought an external hard drive to back up someof my programs and data etc. Did a complete destructive revoery through HP (its a hp pavilion a420n). Everything was going great except some issues with someof my software working properly. Was doing an update to my roxio software today and after computer restarted, got ntldr missing again.I run spyware/virus software regularly. AHHHHH!!! NO discs in drive. Did another destrutive recovery, all came back again. Windows started doingan automatic windows update and restarted the computer and low and behold; ntldr missing ctrl/alt/del to start. Would not let me boot through xp so i am in middle of doing destructive recovery again. I am broke and the computer help people at the local stores want 100$ per hour. Do you think my hard drive is fried and i just need a new one? and if so how can i make bootable discs from my xp if i can get i back up again? tyhanks

ntldr missing

howard_hopkinso said:
I agree with iss. You may well have a failing hard drive.

Check out these hard drive diagnostic utilities HERE

Regards Howard :)

Hey thanks for the response, quick question though. How can tell who makes my harddrive without opening up the computer? thanks

mickalene said:
Hey thanks for the response, quick question though. How can tell who makes my harddrive without opening up the computer? thanks

I don`t know the answer to that.

It wouldn`t take long to open the case, and take a look though.

iss said:
look in device manager under disk drives it should tell you wwho is the maker of the hard drive there. there is alos a free utility that will ID the drive.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/

I too thought of that, but unfortunately neither my device manager or the SIW programme can identify my hard drive. It`s an Hitachi deskstar BTW lol.

Maybe they will in mickalene`s case.

The only programme that Identifies my hdd is Everest, but unfortunately it`s not available for free anymore.

I too thought of that, but unfortunately neither my device manager or the SIW programme can identify my hard drive. It`s an Hitachi deskstar BTW lol.

maybe since IBM sold it's hard drives to hitachi, the drives are having an identity crises. :D

ntldr missing/installed new hard drive, need assistance

howard_hopkinso said:
I agree with iss. You may well have a failing hard drive.

Check out these hard drive diagnostic utilities HERE

hey you guys helped me out on another post i left, see above. I installed a new hard drive and when i turned on the computer it said to install disk. So i put in the hp recovery cd i have and now it reads
no operating sysem installed or partition corrupted
Press "R" to erfrom a full system recovery

I am assume i press R, but i wanted to make sure. I assume i need to format this hard drive but i am not sure when that comes into play.
thanks so much if i can get this computer up and running again i am going to be 1 happy chick!

yes yuo need to press R. must recovery disk pretty much automate the whole process. if not thn simply follow the onscren pormpts if they appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back