NTLDR is missing

sylbar1

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this...but I think I accidentally deleted something in my Control Panel, and now I can't start my computer! It keeps saying NTLDR is missing ~ Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I have tried this several times and nothing is happening, just showing the same message! It has a blinking line underneath, which is prompting me for something/anything to put in there!

Can anyone help me? Thank You!

Yep, that's maddening all right, and it's happened to me on occasion .

Unfortunately, I usually reformat when I break Windows to that point.

I'm not saying you should. With that in mind, I'm having this thread moved to "BSOD" and whatnot...:D

This problem pulls up a lot of similar threads. You might peruse them for a solution.

Yes, the computer can't find the boot hard drive. Check in the bios for the boot order. Make sure that the hard drive is in the list and in either the first or second position

Yes, the computer can't find the boot hard drive. Check in the bios for the boot order. Make sure that the hard drive is in the list and in either the first or second position
How do I get to the bios for the boot order?...sorry not that computer savy :(

How do I get to the bios for the boot order?...sorry not that computer savy :(
In many boards, you would press the "Power" button (*), & then begin pressing the, "Delete" key. That should bring up a menu that you negotiate with the up and down arrow keys, then press,"enter" when you get to the option you want.

You may also see the option, "boot menu", and you take take that directly, and avoid the primary BIOS menu altogether.

Intel is different, and I believe it's "F2". Not sure about that though.

I still think this may point to a larger problem, since you obviously didn't change the boot order yourself.

(*) You can only get into BIOS or "Boot Menu", from a cold start.

In many boards, you would press the "Power" button (*), & then begin pressing the, "Delete" key. That should bring up a menu that you negotiate with the up and down arrow keys, then press,"enter" when you get to the option you want.

You may also see the option, "boot menu", and you take take that directly, and avoid the primary BIOS menu altogether.

Intel is different, and I believe it's "F2". Not sure about that though.

I still think this may point to a larger problem, since you obviously didn't change the boot order yourself.

(*) You can only get into BIOS or "Boot Menu", from a cold start.

I'm in the Boot Device Menu, and the options I have are:

*Onboard SATA Hard Drive
*Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive

* System Setup
* Hard Drive Diagnosticcs
* Boot to Utility Participation

Last edited:
If it isn't set to "onboard SATA Hard Drive", make it so. If the machine still won't boot, you've broken Windows.

So, if still no booty, set it back to boot from the CD, load the Windows disc, and do a repair install.

If you can get into Windows at all, (which you probably can't), running the command line, "fixmbr", might help.

If it isn't set to "onboard SATA Hard Drive", make it so. If the machine still won't boot, you've broken Windows.

So, if still no booty, set it back to boot from the CD, load the Windows disc, and do a repair install.

If you can get into Windows at all, (which you probably can't), running the command line, "fixmbr", might help.

OK, can't do anything in *Onboard SATA Hard Drive...just keeps telling me NTLDR is missing

Tried the boot from Onboard or USB CD-ROM...it's still telling me the same

I have tried going into System Setup and there's a bunch of things in there, but have no clue what's what?

Normally, the boot order is CD/DVD drive, then HDD0. (That assumes more than one HDD in the machine. This is so that you can use a Windows disc to boot the machine.

Now if Tmagic650 claims he can fix this in BIOS, I'm out.

But, tell us what kind of Windows or restore discs you have for this machine.

Normally, the boot order is CD/DVD drive, then HDD0. (That assumes more than one HDD in the machine. This is so that you can use a Windows disc to boot the machine.

Now if Tmagic650 claims he can fix this in BIOS, I'm out.

But, tell us what kind of Windows or restore discs you have for this machine.

Hmm? I actually only have the Operating System Reinstallation Disk that came with the computer, and I have a Drivers and User Documentation! Also came with a FixPc problems! Don't have a Restore Disk unless it's the Operating system one? Not all that savy with this, and can't believe I did this :( Btw, it's Windows XP

Is "fix PC problems", is a disc unto itself?

The Operating System Re-installation Disc", is the Windows XP" disc. It may NOT be an actual "Windows XP" disc, but rather a disc image of Windows XP.

That sounds stupid but, many branded computers won't accept a "Genuine Windows Disc", as a vehicle for installation, as the BIOS and board are "tattooed" to only accept the manufacturer's "restore" disc. (I expect it isn't always called t6hat, in so many words.

THE "OS re-install", will renew your Windows installation. However we need to find out if it will do a "Repair install", or only a "full, reformat install", which will destroy all data on your C:/ Drive.

If I/ you /we / Tmagic, can't get this to work, we may need you to download and burn a CD or DVD, of the latest version of Linux, to retrieve and move your data from the HDD before you start.

This computer is old enough to have a failed hard drive, so other than replacing the hard drive and re-installing Windows, nothing else can be done...

This computer is old enough to have a failed hard drive, so other than replacing the hard drive and re-installing Windows, nothing else can be done...

I got it! I'm in the Windows Recovery Console...it's asking me which windows installation would you like to log onto?

Whatever they're calling the "repair mode". If in doubt, please post the message in their exact wording.

"Cancel", is the I'm "chickening out", button.

So, are you saying there's only one option? It's either install or cancel.

Windows is always on C:/

The restore or Windows installation discs I have, have 2 options. 1. Either a fresh, full reformat install, or 2, a repair install.

If your discs only show one option, it's "safe" to assume the drive will be wiped(!) (Reformatted with all data lost).

So, are you saying there's only one option? It's either install or cancel.

Windows is always on C:/

The restore or Windows installation discs I have, have 2 options. 1. Either a fresh, full reformat install, or 2, a repair install.

If your discs only show one option, it's "safe" to assume the drive will be wiped(!) (Reformatted with all data lost).

I put in 1, and it's asking me for an adminstrator name...and now I'm stuck because I don't know what it is, and I clicked on HELP, so now I have all these names and I'm lost!

Back