Nubia ships first smartphone that packs 24 GB of RAM

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Upon its international launch earlier this year, the Nubia RedMagic 8 Pro was already an impressive package, offering flagship specifications in one of the cheapest Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 phones. A new upgraded model pushes performance further, featuring as much RAM as a high-spec laptop.

Nubia has unveiled an upgraded variant of the RedMagic 8 Pro with increased performance and an improved cooling system. The costliest model has the most RAM ever featured in a smartphone.

According to GSMArena's translation, the RedMagic 8S Pro replaces the original Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC with the faster 8+ Gen 2 for a ~5% performance increase. The CPU clock rises from 3.2 GHz to 3.36 GHz, while the GPU's speed climbs from 680 MHz to 719 MHz. Nubia claims the faster chip slightly outperforms Apple's A16 Bionic in multi-core performance tests.

Nubia has also refreshed the phone's cooling system to match the increased load. Compared to the earlier model's ICE 11, the ICE 12 cooler features a new 5W/mK thermal paste solution and an overhauled graphene heatsink while maintaining the same fan speed. The company also upgraded the phone's operating system from the Android 13-based RedMagic OS 6.0 to RedMagic OS 8.0.

The display, cameras, and battery remain unchanged from the 8 Pro. That means the phone still features a 6.8-inch AMOLED screen with a 1,116 x 2,480 resolution, a maximum refresh rate of 120 Hz, 100 percent DCI-P3 coverage, and 1,300 nits of brightness. Moreover, it retains the 50-megapixel, 8-megapixel, and 2-megapixel triple rear camera setup and the 16-megapixel front-facing lens. It also has the same 6,000mAh battery, but Nubia has upgraded the charger from 65W to 80W.

Most of the RedMagic 8S Pro's RAM and storage choices remain untouched, except for the new top-tier option. Customers can order the standard phone with 8 GB or 12 GB of memory and 256 GB or 512 GB of internal storage starting at CNY 4,000 (about $550). However, Nubia also offers an 8S Pro+ that starts at 16 GB of RAM for CNY 5,500 ($760). The transparent deuterium variant is available with a maximum of 1 TB of storage and an unprecedented 24 GB of memory, which will set you back by about $1,000. Although the Pro+ has a smaller 5,000mAh battery, the charger makes up for it at 165W.

Theoretically, that amount of memory in a mobile device could improve multitasking with the latest high-end mobile games like Honkai: Star Rail without needing to close other apps, though it still sounds exaggerated and unnecessary.

The RedMagic 8S Pro launches in China next week and pre-orders are already open. The phone has yet to appear on storefronts for other regions.

Permalink to story.

Why cant we get one of these SD8, 8GB RAM, 6000 MaH phones in the US? Although I'd prefer 7000, samsung has managed that in the middle east. But no luck here....

"Although the Pro+ has a smaller 5,000mAh battery, the charger makes up for it at 165W."

No. Stop. Get some help.

Charging fast does not make up for worse battery life. All you are doing is wearing your battery out faster. Stop making excuses for smaller batteries!

It's hard to get phones outside of the USA for one simple reason. Consumers, for the most part, are ignorant.
Most of them, think they "have" to purchase a phone through a carrier, or are still hung up on the "free" phone as long as you pay monthly for 2-3 years.
If more people would buy a phone OUTSIDE of a carrier, it could bring the Apple/Samsung duopoly down a bit by bringing more and more phones into the USA because the carriers would have to start supporting them better.

It's hard to get phones outside of the USA for one simple reason. Consumers, for the most part, are ignorant.
Most of them, think they "have" to purchase a phone through a carrier, or are still hung up on the "free" phone as long as you pay monthly for 2-3 years.
If more people would buy a phone OUTSIDE of a carrier, it could bring the Apple/Samsung duopoly down a bit by bringing more and more phones into the USA because the carriers would have to start supporting them better.
So long as the carriers can dictate which phones can use their VoLTE network, it will be impossible to move away from them. Your only options will be unlocked versions of what phones exist on them already.

[HEADING=2]Nubia ships first smartphone that packs 24 GB of RAM[/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]More than your laptop[/HEADING]

Same as my awesome 7900 XTX!.

Yeah, AMD screwed this one up. This gpu should’ve been called 7900 XT.

So what would be the use case for a phone like this?
Gaming? It does make sense on a computer that can actually multitask, but...a phone running off a battery?
Even the latest games with windowed YouTube don't require that kind of RAM on Android. Unused RAM is useless RAM.

Sure, a product designed to showcase what a company could do is nice and all, but I'm not sure it would make financial sense. "RAM is cheap" would be an excuse, I guess.

So what would be the use case for a phone like this?
Gaming? It does make sense on a computer that can actually multitask, but...a phone running off a battery?
Even the latest games with windowed YouTube don't require that kind of RAM on Android. Unused RAM is useless RAM.

Sure, a product designed to showcase what a company could do is nice and all, but I'm not sure it would make financial sense. "RAM is cheap" would be an excuse, I guess.
Many people multitask on their phones. For example using android auto and running multiple apps is 1 example.

Many people multitask on their phones. For example using android auto and running multiple apps is 1 example.
I multitask while alt-tabbing between a RAM hungry game on my PC and I still do so with 16GB of RAM. This makes no sense. I guess RAM is cheap and they use it for marketing.

I multitask while alt-tabbing between a RAM hungry game on my PC and I still do so with 16GB of RAM. This makes no sense. I guess RAM is cheap and they use it for marketing.
Again it depends. I have small program on my PC that I need to run 24/7 and sometimes consumes upwards of 60GB of RAM.

Back