1. I have recently updated my PC.

Pentium D Dual Core 3.4Gig
    2 Gig DDRII 533
    775 Dual-VSTA motherboard
    Omni 500 Watt power supply
    AGP 128 nVidia Geforce 6800
    2 x IDE hardDrive (80 GIG, 200 GIG)
    3 x system fans

I used my AGP nVidia 128 mb GeForce 6800 from my old system hence the need for the motherboard which supports DDRII, dual core and AGP.

Every time a play a game (Dark Messiah of M&M),(Dawn of War, Dark Reign 40000K),and (Neverwinter Nights 2) my pc freezes. It can happen 30 minutes in or 3 mins in. I cannot get out of it except to restart PC. This is sending me crazy. The pc runs fine in windows, it only happens with games.

I have tested my memory with Microscope and found no problem. I have been looking at threads about this and it talks about over heating of the graphics card. I check the temp of card while playing and it seems fine (60). The default clock speeds concern me though 450MHz/2.4GHz. I read somewhere it should be alot lower than this.

Could it be power supply problems. Should I flash the bios of the card. Are there any bios setting to be aware of. Could it be my cheaper motherboard.

I have benchmarked using 3Dmark03 and It handles well (1100- 1300). I have run twice in quick succession and it handled fine.

Please HELP ME.
  2. kitty500cat

kitty500cat Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,407   +6

I'd think a power supply problem. That name "Omni" doesn't ring a bell; I'd guess it is sort of generic.
    I'd recommend a PSU (Power Supply Unit) something like this:
    Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W power supply
    Hoping you get your problem fixed
    --kitty
    Edit: Oh yeah, welcome to TechSpot! :wave:
  3. Paul290874

Paul290874 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I am picking up a Antec 550 watt True Power psu this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.
  4. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

What 6800 model do you have (Ultra, GT, or the vanilla one)?

If you have the vanilla one, it should have a 325Mhz/700Mhz clocks. The GT version has 350Mhz/1Ghz clocks, and the Ultra version has 400Mhz/1.1Ghz. Only the Ultra Extreme version has a 450Mhz core clock, but not a 2.4Ghz RAM clock.

BTW, welcome to Techspot!! :)
  5. Paul290874

Paul290874 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have the GT but changed drivers and got completely different settings 450/1100.

Installed new power supply but to no effect. Downloaded memtest to check the ram again. Memtest told me that I had to run two memtest's simultaneously because there was too much Ram. I decided to remove 1x1gig stick to let memcheck do its job on each individual stick. But before I ran memtest again I decided to try the games with 1x1gig stick. IT WORKED. Swapped the sticks around to test the other one and it still WORKED. For some reason I cannot have 2x1gig sticks. AHHHHH.

Why does my new motherboard freak out with 2gig of ram?

If I were to purchase a new motherboard is it worth my while sticking with AGP (as the 6800 isn't all that old)?

Or should I byte the bullet and get a PCI express mortherboard with new PCI express graphics card. (expensive)?

Thanks everyone for your help.

p.s I really enjoy my new power supply, it has pretty lights.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.