Nvidia 7800 GT screen freezing issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure what happend, for a while now iv been having an issue with my video card, its an Nvidia 7800 GT and everyonce in a while the screen will lock up and I will get little lines across the screen, kinda like static on a TV. anyways iv gone through tech support after tech support and no one can figure it out. Im now thinking it might have had something to do with my power supply but il get to that a little later. Yesterday when I was playing city of heroes, my computer shut itself off. when I turned it back on, it stayed on for about half a second, now it wont turn on period. i checked all the cables inside and out, I changed the outlet it was plugged into, im not sure what to do. last night i remember flipping the europe/us switch once to see if that would do anything (kinda was panic'd so i tryed it too knowing i shouldnt) I read that I should have heard a noise when I plugged it in and if I didnt the power supply was blown. The other thing I was going to get to was that my video card requires 400watts of power and my supply was 400watts so i think that might have something to do with my video card issue, being that i have 2 hard drives, 1 being a raptor 10,000rpm drive.

Anyways my question is, does it seem logical that my video card would mess up because of low wattage available? and should i go drop 100$ on a new power supply? or am I delusional and just need to replace my fuse?

Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

400W is kind of low for a 7800 but should work. Is the 6-pin power connector plugged into the video card? did you flip the 115/230 switch then try to turn the computer on? If so you may have actually fried the motherboard by doing that. It is also possible the power switch on your case may have gone bad, try to switch the power and reset connector on you motherboard and see if your reset button will now turn on your machine. Does your power supply have a power switch on the back by the power cord connector. If it does try flipping the switch a couple of times and see if you can feel it click. If it doesn't that switch may also be bad.

It sounds like you are probably going to need a new power supply if none of the above works. If the fuse inside the power supply is blown don't bother trying to replace it. There is a reason it blew in the first place, and most likely it is a bad power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back