TechSpot

Nvidia announces 8-core Tegra X1 SoC with Maxwell GPU

By Scorpus
Jan 5, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia is following up the release of their Tegra K1 chips from last year with a new, more powerful SoC called Tegra X1. The new SoC is designed to be power efficient while delivering performance unsurpassed by the current range of...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

According to Verge this is destined for the car? Isn't that a bit too much power for a car infotainment system xD?

3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Kinda like adding a a GTX 980 or 290X to a set top box is what it sounds like to me if that's true lol.

But in all seriousness, sounds like a cool chip because having two different sets of 4 cores (One set better than the other) is good in the area of making something mobile more efficient when needed. I have never been a great fan of the Tegra lineup mostly because I felt they were lackluster until the K1 came out but even still it was nothing to impressive to me. This one sounds like a beast compared to the others and will be great if placed in the proper mobile devices as we really need some new chips with some serious GPU power on the small side.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Actually I read about it some more. It will be a consumer chip and will also be used in Nvidia's new car initiative. They other car system they unveiled today works in tandem with this CPU. Actually one of the systems requires 2 of these to do the computations needed.

GhostRyder likes this.