Nvidia card problem, cd rom issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

spkenny

Ok, got this system from a friend, needed a simple reformat. It's a Dell Dimension 8300. 2 questions I have, first, why will it not boot up past the post screens unless both cd roms are hooked up? One of his roms was bad, so I disconnected it, and set the good one for master. Upon rebooting, it said it couldnt find secondary master, or slave devices, and wouldnt allow me to go any further except for setup. So to make sure the second one wasnt also bad, I connected 2 cd roms of my own that I knew were in perfectly working order. But still, 2 cd drives had to be hooked up for it just to function properly. Something in the bios setup? Now onto the more pressing issue, which would be my second question. I had reinstalled windows Home onto this system successfully, all the drivers off of the original installation disc that came with the machine. However, upon rebooting, it would get past the Winxp logo, then freeze up. Nothing came up message wise for errors, until after rebooting about 3 or 4 times. This error message popped up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp
The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself, or with the divice driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x000000EA (0x8215FDA8, 0x81F00518, 0xF8975CBC, 0x00000001)

Obviously a video error of some kind, as I had noticed the screen resetting itself constantly configuration-wise, upon the inital install. I went to the dell site and downloaded the latest driver for the video card, only to run into the same results. Should I try a different AGP video card in the slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back